Sanding disc

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

pieceseeker
Gold Member

Sanding disc

Post by pieceseeker »

Finally getting around to refinishing a couple of sanding disc's acquired a while back with a couple Mark V's.

They were in pretty bad shape...all rusted up. So, in the vapo-rust they went. Now they are down to bare metal, no more rust. Quite a bit of pitting exists, but I would not think that will affect it's performance as far as sanding is concerned.

Are there any suggestions on how best to finish them? What has worked for you all.

My plan is to spray them with black epoxy primer.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Sanding disc

Post by jsburger »

pieceseeker wrote:Finally getting around to refinishing a couple of sanding disc's acquired a while back with a couple Mark V's.

They were in pretty bad shape...all rusted up. So, in the vapo-rust they went. Now they are down to bare metal, no more rust. Quite a bit of pitting exists, but I would not think that will affect it's performance as far as sanding is concerned.

Are there any suggestions on how best to finish them? What has worked for you all.

My plan is to spray them with black epoxy primer.
I don't have any first hand experience with your issues however this is how I would approach it if I ever needed to.

I agree the pits will not effect the performance. Epoxy might be OK but I would not use paint on the disks. The PSA adhesive will probably pull it of when you change sand paper if you don't get a really good bond with the paint and the sanding disks will not stick very well to the paint. Cleaning off adhesive residue will probably also compromise the paint. I would look into a cold process blackening agent or a gun blueing agent. Both are available to the home consumer. They prevent rust and are a chemical conversion process that actually changes the color of the metal and will not peal off.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Re: Sanding disc

Post by rlkeeney »

You might want to look at "cold bluing". A google search should give you lots of links.

It will not pull off because it changes the color of the metal. It's used to refinish guns so solvents will not bother it.