Making "Buying a Used Shopsmith Revisited ... " a "Sticky

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Making "Buying a Used Shopsmith ... & More" Thread a "Sticky"

Poll ended at Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:42 pm

Yes, Please, Long Overdue!
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 18

br549
Platinum Member

Making "Buying a Used Shopsmith Revisited ... " a "Sticky

Post by br549 »

It has been discussed and brought up before by many that Everett Davis' thread in this Maintenance and Repair Forum, "Buying a Used Shopsmith Revisited - Illustrations & More" should be elevated in status to a "sticky" thread, so that it always remains at (or near) the top of the list of threads. Fortunately, it is almost always on the first page, so it is not hard to find, but it deserves better. It has had over 31,000 views so far, which should be proof enough that it is so deserving. This poll has thus been created in order to further convince the Administrator of this forum to make this change. And for the few who may not have yet perused this thread and all of the great content available therein, please do so, and I'm sure you will agree and vote "Yes".

EDIT 8/18/17: Thanks to all who voted and weighed in, though I was hoping for greater participation in the poll itself. Thanks also to Admin for their response, and for Everett's gracious acceptance of Admin's viewpoint. I have decided to close the poll, effective at about 11:40 am today.
Last edited by br549 on Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Re: Making "Buying a Used Shopsmith Revisited ... " a "Sticky

Post by thunderbirdbat »

I would also like to suggest that the restored manuals and other information stored on Everett Davis' Google Drive be added to the SS website. These items would fit under either Support Online Manuals or Woodworking Resources Service Tips or add a way to submit large files to be uploaded to a folder on the forum by Admin after review. There is always the possibility that in the future Google may change it's operational management preventing access to this information and these resources would be lost.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

AMEN!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

TOTALLY agree!!!
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
LR1231
Gold Member

Post by LR1231 »

BR549,

Absolutely!

If you follow the thread you will notice JPG's comment in 2015 when the document "Buying a Used Shopsmith Revisited" started the the thread.

Of the two threads that are Stickey's, JPG's is the most read. At the time and long before all the other content and contributions were added by Mr. Davis he wrote:
JPG wrote:That is outstanding and belongs above the current 'stickeys'.

JMHO Admin!!!! ;)
If on the basis of that one document JPG believed it already belonged above the then current stickey's including his own, so the question is how much more does it belong there today?

Yes it is long overdue. At just over 32,000 views this morning it has over 2,000 MORE views than the one that is at the top of the two stickeys.

JPG had it right in 2015. Please make it right now in 2017 if you will Admin.

The first Stickey post dated Wed Jan 27, 2010 took til Aug 2017 to reach 30,000 views.

The one under consideration here, dated Tue Mar 17, 2015 reached over 32,000 in five years less time.

I don't know who hasn't noticed it, but that speaks pretty loud to me.

Lewis
admin
Gold Member

Post by admin »

I understand the topic does generate a lot of interest. I've also seen that the quite significant efforts of Everette have produced a very useful, high quality document. (Personally, I'm quite impressed with the depth of information in it!)

Shopsmith, however, does run the forum as part of a commercial activity, and for now doesn't want to elevate/promote the alternative of buying a used product, by featuring the idea in "sticky".

As shown by the views the thread has enjoyed, it appears that people who are already considering used equipment are finding the thread without it needing the additional step, which would make it more prominent to all visitors.
Shopsmith I.T.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Thank you Admin for your explanation.

I was always under the impression that this was a user supported forum and not a marketing forum of Shopsmith. That's what I have tried to do.

The document you reference that I added to is a document, later confirmed that was as originally suspected, written by then Shopsmith employee Nick Engler and staff, which was a text only document that I enhanced with photos and comment. Nick even talks about that document in his videos.

I think you will find I have always pointed folks to the newer gear and the fact that they can still buy one of the new ones from Shopsmith, which is a pretty amazing thing these days.

I respect your position, and I am honored by your comments on my work.

Thanks for weighing in and I do understand your position.

Kind Regards,

Everett
Last edited by everettdavis on Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
admin
Gold Member

Post by admin »

Thanks for understanding. I certainly do appreciate that the information is available and want people to be able to find support answers like this, here within the forum. I just can't bring it front and center.

PS - You're right. I can confirm that the original document was created by a Shopsmith employee.
Shopsmith I.T.
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

I can understand not wanting to sticky the topic. Is there a reason for not having a method to submit the restored manuals for inclusion in the online manuals available on the website? This would encourage people who have purchased an older machine to explore the current upgrades and other accessories that are available on the website.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I do not think SS wants to assume responsibility for documentation not created by them.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange