10 ER-Mark V

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

woodmeister
Gold Member

10 ER-Mark V

Post by woodmeister »

Is it possible to run a shop smith band saw on a 10ER?? Have a guy wanting to know and I am thinking it is not compatible.
Thanks,
Tom
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: 10 ER-Mark V

Post by jsburger »

woodmeister wrote:Is it possible to run a shop smith band saw on a 10ER?? Have a guy wanting to know and I am thinking it is not compatible.
Thanks,
Tom
Yes it is but you won't like what it costs. Magna sold a set of adapters (after they came out with the MK V) for the 10ER that would allow you to use the MK V SPT's on the 10ER. They are VERY rare. I have a complete set that I got on eBay a few years ago and it is the only complete set I have ever seen. I paid $290 for it as I remember. The individual pieces come up occasionally but are very rare also. Skip Campbell of MKCTools makes an adapter and the head stock pulley at $95.00 each.

http://mkctools.com/10erparts.htm

Magna started the SPT tool idea with the jig saw. They are very plentiful as it seems most who bought a new 10ER also bought the jig saw accessory. The only other SPT Magna made for the 10ER was the 4E jointer. They are also very rare. You have to have the jointer and the replacement head rest along with the pulley adapter and pulley for the motor. I have never seen the complete set offered. The jointer or the head rest come up occasionally. The motor pulley and shaft adapter are VERY rare. After years of looking I finally scored a complete motor pulley set. You have to have the complete set as the original 3 step motor pulley must be replace with with one with a larger bore to accommodate the shaft adapter/sleeve to mount the jointer pulley. Skip Campbell also makes one so see the link above.
Attachments
DSCF0886 (640x480).jpg
DSCF0886 (640x480).jpg (239.01 KiB) Viewed 4766 times
DSCF0890 (640x480).jpg
DSCF0890 (640x480).jpg (266.16 KiB) Viewed 4766 times
20170417_172743.jpg
20170417_172743.jpg (271.42 KiB) Viewed 4766 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

woodmeister wrote:Is it possible to run a shop smith band saw on a 10ER?? Have a guy wanting to know and I am thinking it is not compatible.
Thanks,
Tom
Yes it is. You will have to either buy or make an adapter to interface to the bandsaw tube spacing, you will need a special pulley on the 10ER with the spline to drive it and possibly new tubes for the bandsaw.

For one stop shopping go to:

http://mkctools.com/10erparts.htm

The adapter can be purchased it is part MKC-030 ($95)

The pulley is part MKC-031 ($95.00)

And the tubes are MKC-033 ($18 to $24 pair)

If you go that route I'd also get the MKC-036 shaft collars ($9.95 pair)

Prices do not include shipping.

Some of these parts can come up on ebay or you can fashion your own to save some money.

I have the original pulley and got the adapter from here. The tubes are spare parts I had laying around and I also keep the shaft collars on hand, even at that it is an investment.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
cham-ed
Gold Member

Post by cham-ed »

I will say the band saw & 10ER do work fine together. For quite a while I only had a 10ER & Skip's adapters. In the low speed (no changer) I used it very successfully.
dvsmith86
Gold Member

Post by dvsmith86 »

You might find the information you need her email:
https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... 10E#p57972
-
Doug Smith
10E SN:10290 Dedicated drill press
10ER SN:69488 Lathe, saw, sander, etc.
Retired Machinist & CNC Programmer
Beginner woodworking
Passions: Restoring, repairing, repurposing
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

There is a much easier way.

Adapt the ER bench to mount a Mk V
headrest.

Now, all you need, is a way to drive
the bandsaw.

steve
10 ER, stripped down.
Basic 10ER, Parts machine. Will be a semi-dedicated drill-press machine.
10 ER, a "survivor" of the trailer fire, in the back yard, needing restoration. Has a Mk5 headrest. Finally, stripped down.
Numerous parts, for Model 10 stuff. Except for lower saw guard, A and B adapters, I've got it.

Looking for one more, or some 9 inch extension table raisers.