The sander came damaged. The fan cover had been...

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Re: The sander came damaged. The fan cover had been...

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

NancyBrown wrote:The sander came damaged. The fan cover had been bent and I did not notice it until I started it up and a heard a clunking sound. I saw the dented cover and determined that was the cause of the sound. The shipping carton had been pushed in and then out and my husband had disposed of the shipping carton and I was not inclined to go through the process of shipping it back. The sander worked ok but I need to replace the fan cover and the fan but found that you cannot buy parts for the motor assembly so I repaired the damaged parts and I am using the sander.

Is anybody here??? Help me please...
I don’t know what kind of game this is, but the first paragraph above is almost verbatim from an Amazon review.

https://www.amazon.com/Delta-Equipment- ... geNumber=4
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Not only similar wording but the referenced review is dated Sept 2014.

Another poster added to my FOE list.

I am always suspicious of new posts but especially so when they reference/discuss non-Shopsmith items. This one slipped by until Dennis posted.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Wow what do they expect to gain?
P89DC
Gold Member

Post by P89DC »

Probably code to set into motion some nefarious plot. Be on the lookout!
1986 510, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, scroll saw, jigsaw and lots of accessories. Shopsmith woodworking bench too!
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Ed in Tampa wrote:Wow what do they expect to gain?
Actually I believe they expect to gain a position on the various search engines. Web sites are scored according to how many hits they have had. When you do a search, you often receive a long list of sites that met the conditions of your search. If your site has gotten a boat load of hits, your site will show up higher on that long list.

Search for something like saw blade and then check to see how many sites there are that "somehow deal with saw blades". The first two or three sites that show up on that list will be names that you recognize. Further down the list...well - go look.

It's all about ratings - just like social media.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dusty wrote:
Actually I believe they expect to gain a position on the various search engines. Web sites are scored according to how many hits they have had. When you do a search, you often receive a long list of sites that met the conditions of your search. If your site has gotten a boat load of hits, your site will show up higher on that long list.

Search for something like saw blade and then check to see how many sites there are that "somehow deal with saw blades". The first two or three sites that show up on that list will be names that you recognize. Further down the list...well - go look.

I totally agree with your assessment. However, in this case there is no link to click on that would benefit from that. So why the post? Her or it's other posts were the same, no link
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

jsburger wrote:
dusty wrote:

I totally agree with your assessment. However, in this case there is no link to click on that would benefit from that. So why the post? Her or it's other posts were the same, no link
You are correct. My assessment is invalid. If they post again, I'll remove them from my foe list.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Whatever else one can say about the motivation, it is clear that cutting and pasting random sander reviews to the Forum isn't sincere or done with good intentions. Keep them as a foe.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dusty wrote:
jsburger wrote:
dusty wrote:

You are correct. My assessment is invalid. If they post again, I'll remove them from my foe list.
I certainly would not do that. It is clearly spam. The reason for the post and the others is what is in question. Possibly just testing the waters.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

When you make a foe 'invisible', you know not what they are doing.

I would just use my powers of ignoring them(but watching none the less).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange