New to Me Model 10E Serial Number 1077

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Re: New to Me Model 10E Serial Number 1077

Post by reible »

Windows 10 does have paint. Use the "Type here to search function" and type in "paint"........ click on the app and away you go.

Ed

chapmanruss wrote:Thanks Everett,
I did the free upgrade to Windows 10 and they didn't include paint with it. One of the many fun things of that upgrade. I like the older Windows version but than I could be using my photo editing program still. I had to quit using it with Windows 8.

Everyone is invited to add in to this topic as I wish this to better inform us as to the changes made from the first Model 10E's to the last Model 10ER's. All the information Everett has compiled for us combined with new information will help others find what they need to restore their Shopsmith. If anyone else has one of these early Model 10E Shopsmiths please compare yours with what I am finding.

1077 Update 2.pdf

Most of the machine has been disassembled except the quill and table system. I will be working on them and get pictures too.
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Thanks Ed, It wasn't in the program list so I assumed they had dropped it. I pinned it to the task bar for easy access. :)
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I put links(icon/shortcut) on the desktop for ALL stuff I run often.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

I am an early beta tester for Windows 10 so I knew it was supposed to be there. Glad you found it.

Speaking of finding things... you may also want to play with the new Free Microsoft 3D Paint program. Just download it.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p ... verviewtab

I still use the old tried and true basic paint, but I am going to have to play with 3D some in the future just to see what it adds that I can take advantage of.

Everett
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

everettdavis wrote:I am an early beta tester for Windows 10 so I knew it was supposed to be there. Glad you found it.

Speaking of finding things... you may also want to play with the new Free Microsoft 3D Paint program. Just download it.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p ... verviewtab

I still use the old tried and true basic paint, but I am going to have to play with 3D some in the future just to see what it adds that I can take advantage of.

Everett
FWIW, it is installed in the latest version of Windows 10. I just got a new lap top 3 days ago. When I clicked on your link the MS Store app opened and said it was installed.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Update on 10E S/N 1077
Everything except the Quill has be disassembled. Should have done it while I was pressing the bearings off the Drive Sleeve. Oh well, I'll get that done soon. Of course I do not completely disassemble motors on my restorations. They get opened up, cleaned out, contacts checked, Bearings replaced, cord & switch replaced, etc. These old motors seem to be able to run forever with a little TLC just like the Shopsmith does.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Now that I have it pretty much disassembled I have compared it to the Model 10 shown in the original Manual Figure 1.
Pre Production Changes.jpg
Pre Production Changes.jpg (462.36 KiB) Viewed 23428 times
Original Shopsmith 10E Manual shows a pre-production Model 10 on Fig. 1 (shown Above.) This Model 10 and some accessories are different than the production model.

Headstock (Changed on Production Models)

1 No Logo/Serial Number Plate
2 Set Screw hole on front for drive sleeve and not one on top
3 Different Belt Cover with no visible mounting
4 Three lobed Quill Advance Knobs
5 Different Way Tube Lock lever (may be the same but appears different in the picture)

Carriage and Table (Changed on Production Models)

6 Different Way Tube Lock lever (may be the same but appears different in the picture)
7 Different Table Tilt Lock (may be the same but appears different in the picture)
8 Doesn’t appear to be a Carriage Positioning Stud with Nut (103-29 & 29N)

Accessories (Changed on Production Models except as noted)

9 Miter Gauge has 45 degree angle cut on right side to clear blade when cutting 45 degree bevel cuts
10 Drill Chuck Arbor not beveled like part number 102-47
11 Sanding Disk has only four ribs not six
12 Saw Blade Arbor not the same as 5/8” Arbor part number 126-1X
13 Different Lathe Tool Rest, has removable shaft for attaching to the Arm, later it was single Casting. Original Production models have this Tool Rest (S/N 1077)

14 It is hard to tell from the picture but the Base Plate may be different from the production model. The Base Plate in Fig. 1 appears to only have curved angle braces on the inside of the verticals that the Arm attaches to. The Production version of the Base Plate both large and small have a cross brace at the bottom between the two verticals. (Changed on Production Models)

Lastly the motor speed in the original manual is listed as 1750 RPM but actual motors are 1725 RPM. Motor speed listed incorrectly in other early 10E Manuals
Tool Rest from S/N 1077
Tool Rest from S/N 1077
105-1 Tool Rest with post back s.jpg (738.38 KiB) Viewed 23428 times
Russ

Mark V 520
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Here is another interesting difference on production units. This is the manual for the early 10E Table Raiser. Notice the way tube tie bar. Even the 10E preliminary manual shows the tie bar as we know it. Also, all the pictures of 10E/ER machines used at the Magna factory show the 'normal' tie bar.
Attachments
10E Table Raiser.pdf
(1.93 MiB) Downloaded 2337 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Hi John,
I have noticed that before but as that is the Base Arm end I thought they "Matted" out the rest of the Base Arm. It could be a partial casting for pictures but that makes less sense. Your copy of the PDF is the same as mine. #8 in the upper right hand corner. In fact this PDF of the Ad is the only document I have seen on this Table Raising Assembly. I have not found an Instruction sheet. I do not believe these were available for to long as the Table Raising Assembly (same name) with the arm attached to the front table post and the crank through the carriage replaced it. The Arm and Crank became a standard item on the Model 10's.

Did you know there is more than one version of this Table Raising Assembly?
Table Raising Assembly 123-1X r.jpg
Table Raising Assembly 123-1X r.jpg (266.15 KiB) Viewed 23379 times
The PDF shows a different adjustment ring with the set knob than the one on the left has. These are two that I have. I have a third one the same as the one on the right but has a repaired main casting near where it bolts to the carriage.
Russ

Mark V 520
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

chapmanruss wrote:Hi John,
I have noticed that before but as that is the Base Arm end I thought they "Matted" out the rest of the Base Arm. It could be a partial casting for pictures but that makes less sense. Your copy of the PDF is the same as mine. #8 in the upper right hand corner. In fact this PDF of the Ad is the only document I have seen on this Table Raising Assembly. I have not found an Instruction sheet. I do not believe these were available for to long as the Table Raising Assembly (same name) with the arm attached to the front table post and the crank through the carriage replaced it. The Arm and Crank became a standard item on the Model 10's.

Did you know there is more than one version of this Table Raising Assembly?

Table Raising Assembly 123-1X r.jpg

The PDF shows a different adjustment ring with the set knob than the one on the left has. These are two that I have. I have a third one the same as the one on the right but has a repaired main casting near where it bolts to the carriage.
Well Duh :o , that is absolutely correct. It is the upper end of the pivot end.

Yes I know that there are two versions because I have the one on the right in your picture and the document shows the one on the left.

Now consider this, which I just noticed today when my original pristine document arrived from an eBay seller. I believe we have all thought this was the first table raiser from the 10E. The picture in the document in question shows what appears to be a 10E based on the fence. There is no date on the document so the logical conclusion is that this is the early 10E table raiser.

Here is a quote from the Magna document...

"Table is raised quickly to a position near the desired setting. It can then be raised by a screw adjustment to the precise setting required. No slow, tedious cranking to move the table up and down, but precision where precision is needed."

No slow, tedious cranking What does that mean if this is the first table raiser?

I submit that this table raiser was produced towards the end of the 10ER production. Magna obviously made an effort to improve the design so why were so few made unless they came at the end of the 10ER production. Also this table raiser is a much more sophisticated design than the common table raiser. It is an upgrade compared to the common table raiser (i.e. 10E to 10ER). Are there any dated documents to show something different?
Attachments
Table Raiser.jpg
Table Raiser.jpg (256.07 KiB) Viewed 23369 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT