New to Me Model 10E Serial Number 1077

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: New to Me Model 10E Serial Number 1077

Post by chapmanruss »

UncleBob71,
Do post copies of those original documents. Some of the original manuals, instruction sheets and catalogs from the Model 10 era are rare indeed and it is nice to be able to share them. As an example the original typed Manual for the first Model 10E machines shipped has only two known original copies left. John has one and an eBay seller has the other. Thanks to John sharing his with us here on the forum so we can all have access to this nearly lost treasure. Also thanks to Everett for his restoration work on these documents. Without them I would not have a copy of the manual for my 10E S/N 1077.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

UncleBob71

I would respectfully ask that you send the full size scans in an email to me so they may be restored and preserved.

Send un-restored document submissions to shopsmithhistorian@gmail.com

My preference is scanned in color even though they were black and white, and the best results come from PNG or JPG files scanned at 300 to 600 pixel setting.

This is a one way only email address - nothing will be sent back, no questions asked or answered there. These forums are for that and dozens of people can assist.

One loses a good bit of detail in resizing graphics down small enough to post in forums

I take them and do document restoration and photo enhancement then build PDF's from them that allows downloading and zooming in with more clarity

Examples are all over My Google Drive link. Everything there is free.

Check there first to see if it's already done.

Everett

Here is a quick example using only the earlier submission in the forum as a source.
Page 2 early catalog minimal edits.jpg
Page 2 early catalog minimal edits.jpg (156.6 KiB) Viewed 19429 times
Thomschuck
Gold Member

Post by Thomschuck »

Congrats Russ! The history alone is fun. I can honestly tell you I have never witnessed the shared knowledge and expertise of so many on any forum. It sure makes owning one just that much more special. Thanks for all the ongoing conversations. Well Done!
TS
Thom Schuck

SS Model 5 500 Completely Restored
SS Bandsaw Completely Restored
SS Jointer Completly Restored
SS Biscuit Cutter
Rikon Low Speed Grinder W/Wolverine jig
Kreg Tool TrackHorse X 2 + Kreg Tool Project Center with 35 Kreg Tool Clamps
11 Systematic Blades of every configuration
Bosch/Mikita handheld power tools plus every hand tool in the book.
Ulmia Chisel sets X 3
Permobile Custom RideForward Powerchair
Complete set of registered # NASA X-15 Custom Tools W/Ownership certificate
UncleBob71
Silver Member

Post by UncleBob71 »

I will post as soon as I get good copies scanned.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I may have some news this week relating to my Model 10E S/N 1077. I have also posted a new picture of it in my posting on the community page titled Shopsmith Model 10's What When and Where. It is a remake of the Fig. 1 picture from the original type written 10E manual using this Model 10E.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

So here is the news relating to Model 10E S/N 1077. I now have a sister of hers. It is Model 10E S/N 1033 which I purchased today. It is not that I needed another Shopsmith to restore and I wasn't planning on buying any more until I had finished the ones I still have to do. For the 10ER I have been working on it is just about done. I need to finish and install the motor and than alignments. I already have another 10E, a Jig Saw, the Mark 2 and other projects to complete. This one just had to be saved to be restored since it too is one of the original Model 10E's from Magna.
Russ

Mark V 520
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

chapmanruss wrote:So here is the news relating to Model 10E S/N 1077. I now have a sister of hers. It is Model 10E S/N 1033 which I purchased today. It is not that I needed another Shopsmith to restore and I wasn't planning on buying any more until I had finished the ones I still have to do. For the 10ER I have been working on it is just about done. I need to finish and install the motor and than alignments. I already have another 10E, a Jig Saw, the Mark 2 and other projects to complete. This one just had to be saved to be restored since it too is one of the original Model 10E's from Magna.
Nice find!!!
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Where did you find this one, Russ?
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

This one was near the Portland area also not to far from me. I believe I said this before that Montgomery Ward had one of the stores/catalog warehouses here in Portland. The building is still there on what was the Northwest corner of NW Vaughn Street and NW 27th Avenue but the name has now been changed to NW Wardway at NW 27th Avenue in front of the building and continuing West. The building is now called Montgomery Park and has been converted to office space. As I drove to pickup this Shopsmith I passed near it and could see the building which of course brought back memories of going there as a kid on shopping outings. The catalog room had desks with catalogs, counters for ordering and pickup plus a waiting area. Larger item would be picked up at the loading dock on the West end of the building. You could place your order and in about an hour it was sent down from the warehouse floors and ready for you to take home. If you didn't want to wait there you could shop around the store as the first 4 floors were retail sale and there was a cafeteria you could go to for a bite to eat while waiting. The picture below was taken of the East side of the building looking across 27th Avenue. NW Vaughn Street passed on the South side of the building.
Montgomery Ward Building.jpg
Montgomery Ward Building.jpg (98.38 KiB) Viewed 12332 times
The lower floors on the left side of the picture were the retail sales areas. The center and right side of the building were the warehouse areas. The drive up area in the middle was the office area and employee entrance.

Right now I do not plan to start it's restoration until I have finished other ones I already had. I need to get the Model 10's out of the way since I am running out of room. I will say it was in very good condition still so when I do get to it there shouldn't be any difficult "clean-up" to do. For now it will sit disassembled and waiting for it's turn.
Russ

Mark V 520
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Yesterday I went to look at a Model 10E I saw for sale about an hour and a half from me. From what I saw in the pictures in the ad it looked like an original version of the Model 10E. I was hoping for a serial number between 1001 and 1250. It's serial number is in the 1900's. What I found interesting was that there was really no change yet to the original versions of the Model 10E parts compared to my two original 10E's S/N 1033 and 1077. It has the 1st version of the headstock with the pin keeping the spring housing from turning and the aluminum spring housing. That little brass spacer was there for the pulley on the drive sleeve. Even the two part lathe tool rest using the screw in post. I guess I was a little surprised that more than 900 Model 10E were made before any changes occurred, especially the aluminum spring housing. Maybe that is an indication of just how popular they were after being introduced. Making enough units to fill the demand before assessing the need for design changes.

It has the 1/2" Arbor with an 8" saw blade mounted. Something discussed in another thread. The original owner had purchased the metal extension table upgrade for it when it came out. The printed ad was in the paperwork with it. It also has the common table riser attachment that was added at some point. It is in very good condition for being over 72 years old and will make a great tool for the next owner.
Russ

Mark V 520