New to Me Model 10E Serial Number 1077

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

amboyna
Gold Member

Re: New to Me Model 10E Serial Number 1077

Post by amboyna »

JPG wrote:
amboyna wrote:I noticed something I am curious about. Your Jacobs chuck certainly matches Figure 1 as to how it hooks to the arbor. But what is between the chuck and the arbor. Is that some kind of adapter?
YEP!

The early 10E had a jacobs chuck with a threaded(1/2 - 20) rear bore. The adapter provided the 5/8 bore for the quill.

Later Jacobs made the 3326 explicitly for the ShopSmith.
Thanks.
Another rare part I'm sure.
Shopsmith 10E S/N 5804 restored.
Shopsmith 10ER S/N R39267; purchased 10-10-50 in San Francisco.
Bruce Brenner
http://www.vintagepbks.com/shopsmith.html
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

amboyna wrote:
JPG wrote:
amboyna wrote:I noticed something I am curious about. Your Jacobs chuck certainly matches Figure 1 as to how it hooks to the arbor. But what is between the chuck and the arbor. Is that some kind of adapter?
YEP!

The early 10E had a jacobs chuck with a threaded(1/2 - 20) rear bore. The adapter provided the 5/8 bore for the quill.

Later Jacobs made the 3326 explicitly for the ShopSmith.
Thanks.
Another rare part I'm sure.
Yes it is very rare. BTW, the chuck is a Jacobs 33B.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

Outstanding job. Don't hesitate to use it for projects, they do very very precision and very fine work. I actually prefer one of the 10ER's to the Mark V/7 for some jobs. :)
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Dick,
I will not hesitate to use it but most of the time my Mark V/7 is the first one reachable. When I did the alignments I was able to get the table to hold at 1/1000 to the blade. I use an alignment plate/disk not a saw blade for alignments along with the Shopsmith Dial Indicator Gauge with a miter slot bar for the Model 10's. Even the fence alignment held within a couple thousands of an inch.

I have used my 10ER S/N R64000 on projects including using it's Magna 4" Jointer Model 4E and it's Jig Saw. I like using the Jig Saw without the upper arm for some projects.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Earlier in this thread, ending on page 3, we discussed the two types of Table Raising Assemblies. Most of the discussion was when each was available. We left it with this from John (the last sentence of his quote)
I think we have said all there is to say on the subject so unless some documentation with dates shows up we will never know.
Going through some old catalogs looking for something else I found these. The first picture is from an early Model 10 accessories catalog. On page 4 of this catalog is a list of future accessories. The second picture is from an accessory catalog dated May 1, 1949. On the front page of that catalog is most of the future accessories listed on the last page of the earlier catalog that the first picture came from. Sorry my PDF's of the catalogs are too large to post here. I also have original printed copies of these catalogs.
from early Model 10E catalog
from early Model 10E catalog
Page 2 early catalog.jpg (143.55 KiB) Viewed 22246 times
from May 1, 1949 catalog
from May 1, 1949 catalog
Page 2 May 1 1949.jpg (152.02 KiB) Viewed 22246 times
This appears to answer the question which Table Riser came first and about when the more common Table Riser Assembly became available.

It is interesting comparing Owner's Manuals with Catalogs and the Machines to see when changes took place. I wish I had more of the Manuals, specifically between the early Model 10E manuals through 1950. That is a gap I would like to cover. It would answer when it went from Model 10E to 10ER. Right now I only know it became the 10ER by 1951. Also by putting Manual dates to part changes, i.e. the base, headrest, headstock, double or single wedge locks, etc. we could better estimate the date a machine was built.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

chapmanruss wrote:Earlier in this thread, ending on page 3, we discussed the two types of Table Raising Assemblies. Most of the discussion was when each was available. We left it with this from John (the last sentence of his quote)
I think we have said all there is to say on the subject so unless some documentation with dates shows up we will never know.
Going through some old catalogs looking for something else I found these. The first picture is from an early Model 10 accessories catalog. On page 4 of this catalog is a list of future accessories. The second picture is from an accessory catalog dated May 1, 1949. On the front page of that catalog is most of the future accessories listed on the last page of the earlier catalog that the first picture came from. Sorry my PDF's of the catalogs are too large to post here. I also have original printed copies of these catalogs.
Page 2 early catalog.jpg
Page 2 May 1 1949.jpg
This appears to answer the question which Table Riser came first and about when the more common Table Riser Assembly became available.

It is interesting comparing Owner's Manuals with Catalogs and the Machines to see when changes took place. I wish I had more of the Manuals, specifically between the early Model 10E manuals through 1950. That is a gap I would like to cover. It would answer when it went from Model 10E to 10ER. Right now I only know it became the 10ER by 1951. Also by putting Manual dates to part changes, i.e. the base, headrest, headstock, double or single wedge locks, etc. we could better estimate the date a machine was built.
So now we know. :)

Interesting they used the same description for both. Another interesting thing is that in the short life (approx. 2 years?) of the table raiser in the first picture it went through two iterations.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I think Dr. Goldschmidt was always looking for a better way to do things. He was always changing/improving the Model 10 followed by the Mark 5.
Russ

Mark V 520
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

chapmanruss wrote:I think Dr. Goldschmidt was always looking for a better way to do things. He was always changing/improving the Model 10 followed by the Mark 5.
That is probably a true statement.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
UncleBob71
Silver Member

Post by UncleBob71 »

Going thru some old documents I got with my ss and I came across an original copy of that table riser from the 50s. Along w the accessories catalog. And surprisingly there in decent condition. There is also a thank you letter from ss thanking the original customer for the purchases sometime around xmas. Only wish I knew how to post them.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

UncleBob71 wrote:Going thru some old documents I got with my ss and I came across an original copy of that table riser from the 50s. Along w the accessories catalog. And surprisingly there in decent condition. There is also a thank you letter from ss thanking the original customer for the purchases sometime around xmas. Only wish I knew how to post them.
Scan them OR take a picture and create jpeg(.jpg) files and add them to a post.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange