Power pro problems and no response from SS

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

everettdavis
Platinum Member

Re: Power pro problems and no response from SS

Post by everettdavis »

Thank you for posting the update and the setscrew size. I only looked at the Nova 2424 manual which had 6mm

You stated you're the only one with this problem, but when you think back were there any other symptoms that preceeded the fan noise?

I ask that wondering if some of the others who have had sensor errors with theirs may have a setscrew that is a bit loose allowing slight variances to throw errors.

Did you by chance take any photos that you might share?

Congratulations on a job well done.

Everett
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

gavcon wrote:I seem to be the only one on this forum with this problem. Anyone with any theories please let me know.

Thanks again for all your help.

Nope your not the only one. Someone figured out that it may be caused from the motor constantly adjusting speed.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

I have had some similar problems when I first purchased my Power Pro more than 5 years ago. It had a jingling sound from the hubs on the auxiliary shaft from the screws loosening. This can be cured by using locking set screws with the nylon pin in them. The set screw on the motor fan also loosened a couple of times and was solved by using some blue Loctite on the threads. I made my own locking set screws by drilling a .064 hole through the set screw and forcing a piece of nylon string used in my weed whacker through the hole and then clipping the string close to the threads. Worked OK.
Bill V
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

I wished my problem was as simple. Still haven't heard back from the mother ship about the parts I shipped back to them over a month ago. I suspect their one repair guy is busy these days.
Fred
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Large instantaneous torque changes will find loose set screws.

It also plays havoc with backlash.

A stepping motor will do that.

The PP motor is essentially a stepping motor with extremely large torque (ac/de)celeration.

Good news for thee that you found the cause. Not good news that SS caused the loose setscrew(assumption).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Yes, the PowerPro is a feedback-contol-loop servomotor. The control is done in modern sampling/PWM-sense, quite likely. Nothing wrong with this, but I do think the range of load-inertias on a Shopsmith is greater than what a typical lathe-only DVR motor would encounter. So a "one size fits all" set of feedback coefficients is a tall order.

I was one of the early guys who had to call Shopsmith (in 2010) to change my motor's feedback settings to avoid pulsing with the 12" sanding disk. They preferred each owner to call one-at-a-time, and when someone posted the procedure on the forum, they were disappointed.

Since 2010 I'm still on all original pulleys and belts. About 2 years ago the main motor pulley loosened a tad and I addressed the screw with blue Loctite.

Amazing DVR motor! It does perhaps call upon the tinkerer in us more than other tools will.

Chris
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

nuhobby wrote:Yes, the PowerPro is a feedback-contol-loop servomotor. The control is done in modern sampling/PWM-sense, quite likely. Nothing wrong with this, but I do think the range of load-inertias on a Shopsmith is greater than what a typical lathe-only DVR motor would encounter. So a "one size fits all" set of feedback coefficients is a tall order.

I was one of the early guys who had to call Shopsmith (in 2010) to change my motor's feedback settings to avoid pulsing with the 12" sanding disk. They preferred each owner to call one-at-a-time, and when someone posted the procedure on the forum, they were disappointed.

Since 2010 I'm still on all original pulleys and belts. About 2 years ago the main motor pulley loosened a tad and I addressed the screw with blue Loctite.

Amazing DVR motor! It does perhaps call upon the tinkerer in us more than other tools will.

Chris
Ah yes I recall the "SS Engineer" admonition(appropriate!).

I do hope tinkering is the norm rather than some more catastrophic things 'reported' recently. I consider oiling regularly to be tinkering. ;)

I would surmise there are different coefficients for different operations(not one size fits 'none').
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
gavcon
Silver Member

Post by gavcon »

Wow. While I'm saddened that there are others experiencing this, at least I am not losing my mind and this is an actual problem. So what can be done about it? Putting loctite on all the setscrews isn't practical, maybe for that one on the fan but not the ones on my faceplates and chucks.

This is obviously not a problem for Nova lathes with DVR; Nova lathes use a threaded spindle and their faceplates, etc., stays tight due to centrifugal force. Did SS not notice the setscrew-loosening problem when they beta-tested the Nova DVR in the SS?

I know lots about woodworking, I know very little about DVR motors. "Tinkering" with technology is above my pay scale. I can build a jig to make any wood part; I have no idea how to make a work-around for this problem. And I should not be expected to have to figure out a work-around for a tool I just bought for $2000. This machine should behave as it was advertised, and it does not.

Can making the computer less sensitive to minute changes in speed or torque make much of a difference in how the machine actually performs, while solving or lessening the setscrew-loosening? I don't know. But maybe that is worth a try.
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

I must be one of the lucky ones. I bought my powerpro in 2014 new. I have yet to have a set screw come loose. I have had to adjust the belt pulley position once or twice, but that's it.
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Just a few thoughts, first there are different "flavors" of loctite. Things like the size of the setscrew also make a difference when picking the right loctite. You might want to check their web site for guidance.

In some cases putting things like teflon tape might also work to keep set screws from loosing.

Next it important to use the specific set screw that shopsmith specifies. Not doing so is asking for problems.

Chucks and the like can also be an issue if you are not using ones designed for the shopsmith. If you are using nova chucks then you need the shopsmith version adapter not the one for a plain 5/8" shaft.

Technique is also important. When you put anything on the shopsmith shafts the flat needs to contact the setscrew, if you tighten any place but on the flat it is likely to become an issue. Some people have a little twist trick they use as the tighten or just make sure visually that the alignment is right but what ever method not taking the proper care is asking for issues.

From my personal experience before having a powerpro is that things can come loose even on the old tried a true equipment. I got an adapter to take 1"-8tpi face plates from a certain company. The faceplate would just vibrate loose having the machine running and not even attempting to turn with it. It turned out the company was getting these overseas and the set screw they picked was the wrong fit and came in flat rather then the angle that allows the setscrew to set on the flat of the shopsmith shaft. The company was pretty non-responsive so I canceled my other for a chuck and other attachments and pretty much avoid buying from them. I did fix the issue by re-drilling the adapter for the right setscrew and at the right angle and no more issue.

I own two powerpros, I have yet to have this issue on either of them. What does happen on one of them is the quick adjust feed lever hubs loosen.... and rattle. I plan to loctite them sometime. It is more of a noise issue then a mechanical issue so I've been lazy. So far as I know I'm the only one with this issue.

Some machines seem more prone to this then others. I recall some people having issues when using the bandsaw, again I don't see this. So why is that? I don't have a clue. Best solution is to contact shopsmith by phone and if they don't call back start calling every day or every hour until you get them to pay attention. Perhaps yours needs some changes to the firmware or needs to get sent in for repair. Best to get the information from shopsmith then to play a guessing game.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]