Power pro problems and no response from SS

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Re: Power pro problems and no response from SS

Post by fredsheldon »

I'm not very smart but I had a great solution to the loose screws issue. I used super glue on every nut and bolt and screw in my 520 and PP and nothing has come loose yet :)
gavcon
Silver Member

Post by gavcon »

Thanks guys. My 4-jaw chucks are Nova, perhaps I do have the wrong adapter, but this happens to my faceplates too, and they are from Shopsmith. I've tried teflon tape, loctite will be next. I'll wait on the super glue.

My spindle is pretty gnarled up now, the flat has gotten rounded over from slipping setscrew abrasion, and I am sure that is not helping. I have been roughing out a couple large bowls today, I have had to stop and re-tighten literally every minute.

One thought I had was to have the end of the spindle threaded to 5/8-11 and have a bushing made that is 5/8-11 on the inside and 1 1/4-8 on the outside, use this one for lathe work and swap out the quill when I want to use any of the other functions. Or I could just buy a real lathe.
EliWalton
Gold Member

Post by EliWalton »

gavcon wrote:[...] Or I could just buy a real lathe.
Bingo!!

Ely :)
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Clearly your powerpro has issues. You really need to contact shopsmith. If you are hoping that posting here will fix it that is unlikely, the forum is lightly monitored by shopsmith. You need to get on the phone and take charge of this issue. Ask to talk to the boss man if need be.

The nova adapter for shopsmith has a "S" stamp on it. If you got it from shopsmith you should have the right one but check anyway. For a short while they were shipping the wrong adapter but that was caught and corrections were made. If you bought it else where and it is the wrong one then see if they will exchange it.... or contact nova they might be willing to exchange.

If you have torn up the main shaft then all bets are off if anything will work right on it. Again if this was a shopsmith powerpro problem they should replace it for you. But again you need to talk to them.

As I see it the unit is non functional as it is and it is likely to make things worse using it. So rather then doing anything else like trying to turn more bowls take the time to contact shopsmith. I can't say this enough I guess.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

If your chuck adapter comes loose, there should be enough depth in the setscrew hole once you bottom out the setscrew on the spindle bevel, to add a 2nd setscrew as a jam-nut against the first if they are short, with loctite vibration thread sealant.

Make sure the 2nd setscrew has a flat bottom so as not to distort the hole of the first.

Put a drop on both setscrews, then let it dry before inserting them.

I got my Nova adapter from Rockler and haven't had it come loose yet.

Everett
Nova Lathe Chuck Insert  Adapter from Rockler.jpg
Nova Lathe Chuck Insert Adapter from Rockler.jpg (30.99 KiB) Viewed 8407 times
everettdavis
Platinum Member

NOVA Chuck Adapter Identification

Post by everettdavis »

I realize that we have drifted off the original subject after the poster resolved his initial problem, so I will add this last piece of info to the altered topic, and changed the title in it.

I finally found a post I was looking for relative to 5/8" NOVA Adapters that illustrated a key point in those designed for Shopsmith 5/8" Spindle's Reverse Taper from forum member bobgroh posted Jan 10, 2013. I knew I had seen it before, and it took me a good bit of time to re-locate it. Reference: http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... 51#p135951

Also reference Figure 1 that illustrates the reverse taper on the main spindle. Note specifically that the bore of the setscrew and thread is perpendicular to the taper (not the adapter housing), meaning it is not bored straight in, but at the same angle to maximize the holding power on a tapered Shopsmith spindle.

Contrast the Type F Nova Adapter (left) and the Type S Nova Adapter (right) in the photo.

I added a red line to the original photo to better illustrate this issue, and added a setscrew covered with putty and red line to illustrate the contrasting straight bore for the Spindle Knob in Figure 1.

It is vitally important, and can help you identify a 5/8" arbor or adapter made for Shopsmith opposed to a plain 5/8" arbor or adapter made for something else.

Everett
Compare Saw Arbor to Nova Lathe Chuck Adapter.png
Compare Saw Arbor to Nova Lathe Chuck Adapter.png (749.11 KiB) Viewed 8359 times
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: NOVA Chuck Adapter Identification

Post by jsburger »

everettdavis wrote:I realize that we have drifted off the original subject after the poster resolved his initial problem, so I will add this last piece of info to the altered topic, and changed the title in it.

I finally found a post I was looking for relative to 5/8" NOVA Adapters that illustrated a key point in those designed for Shopsmith 5/8" Spindle's Reverse Taper from forum member bobgroh posted Jan 10, 2013. I knew I had seen it before, and it took me a good bit of time to re-locate it. Reference: http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... 51#p135951

Also reference Figure 1 that illustrates the reverse taper on the main spindle. Note specifically that the bore of the setscrew and thread is perpendicular to the taper (not the adapter housing), meaning it is not bored straight in, but at the same angle to maximize the holding power on a tapered Shopsmith spindle.

Contrast the Type F Nova Adapter (left) and the Type S Nova Adapter (right) in the photo.

I added a red line to the original photo to better illustrate this issue, and added a setscrew covered with putty and red line to illustrate the contrasting straight bore for the Spindle Knob in Figure 1.

It is vitally important, and can help you identify a 5/8" arbor or adapter made for Shopsmith opposed to a plain 5/8" arbor or adapter made for something else.

Everett
Compare Saw Arbor to Nova Lathe Chuck Adapter.png
I agree with you Everett but we have been down this road before. AFAIK, none of the 10ER stuff has angled set screws. Also some of the early and later MK V stuff does not have angled set screws. I posted pictures in a thread a long time ago that shows that. I still have the pictures but the thread is here somewhere. Yes, I think they all should be angled but that is not an indicative way of telling if a particular arbor/adapter is SS or not.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Since there is no torque load on the collar, there is no requirement for the angled set screw even though there is a reverse taper flat that it tightens down on.

The tapered set screws are a recent change and I believe only necessary with greater torque loads(saw blade/chuck/steel sanding disc).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
gavcon
Silver Member

Post by gavcon »

Both of my Nova chucks have the "S" adapter, so that isn't the problem. It looks like I will be taking Ed's advice and probably shipping the whole headstock back to Shopsmith. But based on fredshelton's post, who knows how long it will be before I see it again.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

JPG wrote:Since there is no torque load on the collar, there is no requirement for the angled set screw even though there is a reverse taper flat that it tightens down on.

The tapered set screws are a recent change and I believe only necessary with greater torque loads(saw blade/chuck/steel sanding disc).
I would love to know more and see John's other thread. I can't remember who pointed the angled bore on the adapter out to me but I internalized it and it stuck in my mind.

There are flat set screws in angled bores and tapered set screws in straight bores that match the bevel? Is that what I should looking for?

Now I have to look at what I own to see what's there.

I am sorry if I made it more confusing. I heard it at a demonstration in the mall and never physically examined the topic much beyond that. Come to think of it I guess he might have been pointing out a change in design, opposed to how it's designed.

Regardless I am sorry the original poster is still experiencing trouble.

Everett