Drill press won't go high enough for lock to work

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

sconi
Silver Member

Drill press won't go high enough for lock to work

Post by sconi »

I have a 80’s era Shopsmith upgraded to a powerpro with the double end lift and the lift assist. When using it in an upright position for the drill press it won’t go up high enough for the lock to be engaged. It appears that the casting is too large to let it come fully upright. It did this prior to the double end lift upgrade as well. Any thoughts on how to adjust this so the lock will work and the drill press mode is closer to a 90 degree angle?
reible
Platinum Member

Re: Drill press won't go high enough for lock to work

Post by reible »

From what I read, and I might have misunderstood, but you are saying when you go to vertical the lock doesn't match the edge of the hole in the casting? It is not designed to be centered but rather to meet the edge of the hole, that is normal.

Now if you are not getting even close to the hole then there is something else wrong. Since you mentioned lift assist that would be my guess. That is simple to test as you can just pop the rod off and see if it will go vertical all the way without it attached.

I have the powerpro, double tilt and powerpro version of the lift. If you didn't upgrade the lift then that too could be an issue, I think it is just the amount of lift it has but still you need to get the right one if you don't already have it.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Loosen the screw on the near side of the leg/way tube casting. It is part number 2 on the diagram of the base.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
sconi
Silver Member

Post by sconi »

That isn't the problem but thanks anyway.
sconi
Silver Member

Post by sconi »

It's a powerpro lift, the castings bottom out when the headstock is about 20 degrees away from being upright.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

At this point I think I'd like to see picture(s)....... or can you explain what is hitting what with a picture of the two parts in the down position, yea I know it would be hard to shoot and hold the machine in position but can we assume the lift is holding it the 20 degree point so you can look around?

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

sconi wrote:It's a powerpro lift, the castings bottom out when the headstock is about 20 degrees away from being upright.
What is interfering with what?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

If you have an extension table installed, remove it before trying to go vertical.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:If you have an extension table installed, remove it before trying to go vertical.
That would stop it much earlier(lower) unless mounted quite high. Good thought!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

I don't have a lift assist (or double tilt). But I suspect this is a lift assist installation issue.

If you remove the lift assist, can you get to vertical?
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!