Drill press won't go high enough for lock to work

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Drill press won't go high enough for lock to work

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote:Photo 3 appears to show the hinge fully rotated to vertical.

The mystery remains why the way tubes are not then vertical(+-).

Way/bench tubes reversed would lead to problems on the lock down(headrest) end.
Is this not a double tilt?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

The curious part to me was that it started as a 1980's era machine, before he added the double tilt. He said it even did even it prior to that upgrade, making me wonder what was done to it before he got it.

Whatever was wrong carried over even though the double tilt was added which should have replaced both ends down to the legs, taking the geometry of the original ends out of the equation.

Even if it had been altered in some way, replacing those should produce different results, but it didn't which is why I asked.

The bench is pretty straight forward a design.

If it were me I would remove the headstock and carriage an work just on the bench geometry issue til it was discovered why it was not going to 90 degrees.

Everett
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

everettdavis wrote:The curious part to me was that it started as a 1980's era machine, before he added the double tilt. He said it even did even it prior to that upgrade, making me wonder what was done to it before he got it.

Whatever was wrong carried over even though the double tilt was added which should have replaced both ends down to the legs, taking the geometry of the original ends out of the equation.

Even if it had been altered in some way, replacing those should produce different results, but it didn't which is why I asked.

If it were me I would remove the headstock and carriage an work just on the bench geometry issue til it was discovered why it was not going to 90 degrees.

Everett
I would go one step further and "completely" dismantle the unit. Check the bench and way tubes, check the end castings, verify proper insertion of tubes into the castings.

Does this problem present it self when tilted in either direction?

Full view profile pictures, please. Sitting horizontal abd vertical.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

everettdavis wrote:The curious part to me was that it started as a 1980's era machine, before he added the double tilt. He said it even did even it prior to that upgrade, making me wonder what was done to it before he got it.

Everett
My guess is the head stock and carriage will have to come off and the ends as well so the length of the tubes can be checked. It could be that it doesn't even have a set of correct tubes. With it apart it would be easier to check everything and starting at finding if the tubes are the right length and in the correct location.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I have to wonder if the location of the machine were know if someone here could simply stop by and have a look at it. What ever is wrong should stand out like a sore thumb to one of us other users.

Ed
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

004.jpg
004.jpg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 12255 times
005.jpg
005.jpg (1.49 MiB) Viewed 12255 times
I just could not envision what might be happening.

This picture is NOT of a double tilt but I don't believe that makes a difference. The casting is nearly the same for this discussion.

The tile is no where near where you say yours stops but they show where I think you need to concentrate your inspection.

If I pull the extension table legs out the casting will tilt to a point where the tubes would be vertical.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

This is what I think is happening. A photo I annotated showing this other machines problem.
Clipboard02.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg (71.92 KiB) Viewed 12254 times
But of course the tilt is the other way.

Ed
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

This is a similar shot but in the horizontal position and strict examination will reveal this is a double tilt.

Notice the relationship between the vertical legs and the horizontal tubes. Does that replicate what yours looks like?
Attachments
003.jpg
003.jpg (1.48 MiB) Viewed 12253 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Four more shots that depict my guess as to possible cause. The table extension tubes OR something similar.

The second shot shows NO OBSTRUCTION. The others depict the extension table legs preventing full tilt.

Hope this helps because beyond this I have no clue.
050.jpg
050.jpg (1.57 MiB) Viewed 12240 times
045.jpg
045.jpg (1.57 MiB) Viewed 12240 times
047.jpg
047.jpg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 12240 times
048.jpg
048.jpg (1.57 MiB) Viewed 12240 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
sconi
Silver Member

Post by sconi »

It's loose sir, doesn't appear to be the problem.