Drill press won't go high enough for lock to work

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Drill press won't go high enough for lock to work

Post by dusty »

Let us ponder this one more time. To SEE if the bench tubes are over inserted into the base casting, just peer down into the holes where the extension table legs go. The ends of the bench tubes (and the mechanical stop) are right there.

Another way is to insert the extension table legs and push the table down as far as it will go. If that is just a couple inches, the extension table legs have just met the "over inserted" bench tubes. When I assemble a 505/510, this is the way I control the depth of insertion. Install the extension tables (I have more thasn one) before the bench tubes are inserted. The extension table legs prevent over insertion.

Yes, IF a base must be relocated on the bench tubes (due to over insertion) the safest and probably the easiest way would be to prop that end of the bench tubes up on a saw horse. I just happen to have plastic containers that originally held chlorine tablets for the pool that work great. They also serve as stools when I have company in the shop.

John, I wasn't meaning to imply that the Shopsmith instructions were wrong. There are just other ways to attack this. Besides, I am one of those who hardly ever read the assembly instructions UNTIL I run into trouble.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dusty wrote:Let us ponder this one more time. To SEE if the bench tubes are over inserted into the base casting, just peer down into the holes where the extension table legs go. The ends of the bench tubes (and the mechanical stop) are right there.

Another way is to insert the extension table legs and push the table down as far as it will go. If that is just a couple inches, the extension table legs have just met the "over inserted" bench tubes. When I assemble a 505/510, this is the way I control the depth of insertion. Install the extension tables (I have more thasn one) before the bench tubes are inserted. The extension table legs prevent over insertion.

Yes, IF a base must be relocated on the bench tubes (due to over insertion) the safest and probably the easiest way would be to prop that end of the bench tubes up on a saw horse. I just happen to have plastic containers that originally held chlorine tablets for the pool that work great. They also serve as stools when I have company in the shop.

John, I wasn't meaning to imply that the Shopsmith instructions were wrong. There are just other ways to attack this. Besides, I am one of those who hardly ever read the assembly instructions UNTIL I run into trouble.
Nor did I take it that way. I am also pretty much like you when it comes to assembly instructions.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Sconi,

When you approach the task of correcting the insertion depth of the bench tubes into the base casings, you need to be cognizant of the effect that the Way Tubes will have on this.

The Way Tubes and the way they are inserted into the Base Arms determine the separation distance between the Base Arms. The Base Arms ride down onto the pivot pins. The separation distance of the pivot pins is effected by the Bench Tubes (the separation distance of the castings.

Bottom Line: The bench tube insertion plays on the way tube insertion. You most probably won't be able to change one without changing the other.

Do you have the installation instructions for the double tilt. The instructions cover this very well.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Dusty,

I attached a PDF of those instructions on November 21st post I made. He can look back to that post and download them if he has not done so previously.

Everett
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

everettdavis wrote:Dusty,

I attached a PDF of those instructions on November 21st post I made. He can look back to that post and download them if he has not done so previously.

Everett
The best picturial that one can expect to ever see on this procedure is here on the forum. It is a pictorial posted by Ed Reible.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/maint ... ml#p239556
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Agreed, Dusty, I gave him that link to Ed''s (Reible's) write in this post also on the 21st. See:

https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... 69#p254169

Link is after I cited some text from double tilt installation instructions

I started him in The first of the posts and Ed did do an exceptional job documenting it.

It would be nice to know if the OP has read trough all the resources we pointed out that should help identify the problem and understands them clearly.

Everett
sconi
Silver Member

Post by sconi »

I finally got some time to look into this further, turned it upside down, checked the the bench tubes and legs found they were not square, put them right and it now raises perfectly.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

sconi wrote:I finally got some time to look into this further, turned it upside down, checked the the bench tubes and legs found they were not square, put them right and it now raises perfectly.

Great! Glad you finally go it worked out!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Thank YOU Sconi!!!

Often times 'we' work our way through these strange events and never know if we were correct(helpful) in our understanding.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange