Outdoor 10ER vs. Winter

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Outdoor 10ER vs. Winter

Post by RFGuy »

Dansmith wrote:
BuckeyeDennis wrote:
Dansmith wrote:John, T9 sounds like a good way to go regardless of the lack of humidity around here. I've been meaning to try some of it, and just haven't gotten around to it. I guess it's time.
I saw your update over in this post, saying that it had weathered the winter just fine. Out of curiosity, was that with or without the Boeshield T9?
Without.
Dan,

Did you end up putting a cover over the equipment like a breathable material or a tarp? Also, is there any roof structure over it as well to keep rain/snow off? Any other protection advice that you have for outdoor equipment?
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
Dansmith
Gold Member

Post by Dansmith »

RFGuy wrote:
Dansmith wrote:
BuckeyeDennis wrote:
I saw your update over in this post, saying that it had weathered the winter just fine. Out of curiosity, was that with or without the Boeshield T9?
Without.
Dan,

Did you end up putting a cover over the equipment like a breathable material or a tarp? Also, is there any roof structure over it as well to keep rain/snow off? Any other protection advice that you have for outdoor equipment?
I put a breathable lightweight cotton like cover on it. It is pretty much protected from the weather in that it is under my fully enclosed upper deck, so it gets no rain or snow, unless the rain or snow is blowing horizontally which does happen around here. Lowest temperature this winter only got down to about minus 2. The afternoon sun does heat up the area where the 10er is located so any moisture might evaporate. The sun's rays here feel very warm, maybe due to the elevation.

As far as advice protecting outdoor equipment, keep it dry and live in a dry climate area. Humidity around here is minimal.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

There is more than one way to skin a cat...

https://www.google.com/search?safe=off& ... z_yMkL3To8

How is your overhead space in your shop?

https://www.google.com/search?q=overhea ... MBRiezHmM:

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

robinson46176 wrote:There is more than one way to skin a cat...

https://www.google.com/search?safe=off& ... z_yMkL3To8

How is your overhead space in your shop?

https://www.google.com/search?q=overhea ... MBRiezHmM:

Francis, Both are good ideas. I have a small, metal storage building in the area that behind my garage that stores lawn equipment, but this could be moved out. It could be used, but would likely be more useful for wood storage in the long run. I am 6 feet tall and just walking into this building is a challenge for me. In this same area, I could use some of this open area to make an open air woodworking setup, but would need to build some type of roof structure to keep the rain off of it.

Ceiling height is only 100", so storage above doesn't really work unless I go into the attic. An attic lift (link below) is a good idea and is what first came up when I clicked your link. Unfortunately the garage shares a roof attic with part of the house. This attic is built of roof trusses and I wouldn't want to modify any of them without a structural engineer to redesign it. Of course, I do have access to a 22" wide section between trusses that could utilize a lift like the one you showed. My hesitance is that I live in the Phoenix area and attic temperatures get quite extreme in the summer time. I seriously thought about putting some SPT's on a lift like this so I could gain more room. A great candidate for this would be my Shopsmith mounted planer, but with it being exposed to the extreme attic temperatures I am concerned that any plastic, bearings, etc. would be destroyed in a short time up there. I haven't measured it myself, but would guess that my attic temps are at least 140F in summer, possibly 150F or higher.
https://versaliftsystems.com/products/v ... gLBEfD_BwE
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
amboyna
Gold Member

Post by amboyna »

My working 10ER is under a carport. It has been covered since last fall. I have no room in my shed. But I like it that way. No sawdust coating on everything.
Now if it would just warm up I could start turning again.
Attachments
10ER.jpg
10ER.jpg (70.62 KiB) Viewed 9941 times
Shopsmith 10E S/N 5804 restored.
Shopsmith 10ER S/N R39267; purchased 10-10-50 in San Francisco.
Bruce Brenner
http://www.vintagepbks.com/shopsmith.html
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

amboyna wrote:My working 10ER is under a carport. It has been covered since last fall. I have no room in my shed. But I like it that way. No sawdust coating on everything.
Wow! Thanks for sharing. If you can maintain it under a carport in WA with your humidity there, then I should be able to do it here in AZ. Do you just keep it waxed, or any special tips that you use there? Or maybe do you accept the inevitable surface rust and just routinely clean it up and re-wax?
📶RF Guy

amboyna
Gold Member

Post by amboyna »

RFGuy wrote:
amboyna wrote:My working 10ER is under a carport. It has been covered since last fall. I have no room in my shed. But I like it that way. No sawdust coating on everything.
Wow! Thanks for sharing. If you can maintain it under a carport in WA with your humidity there, then I should be able to do it here in AZ. Do you just keep it waxed, or any special tips that you use there? Or maybe do you accept the inevitable surface rust and just routinely clean it up and re-wax?
You are certainly right about the humidity here. Humidity is 83% right now.
I do have most bare surfaces waxed. Especially the way tubes.
The Shopsmith cover is the key.
With that said, minor rust does show up. But I deal with it.
Shopsmith 10E S/N 5804 restored.
Shopsmith 10ER S/N R39267; purchased 10-10-50 in San Francisco.
Bruce Brenner
http://www.vintagepbks.com/shopsmith.html