Changing speeds

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ScottyBox
Gold Member

Changing speeds

Post by ScottyBox »

1980 model Mark V 500
Been restoring it for a few weeks. Lubed the inside per videos I've watched, I have no frame of reference to know if the following is normal or perhaps an issue I need to look into further.

Turn the machine on, move the speed dial to the fast mode, about 1 revolution per 2 seconds. Moves very freely and speed increases just fine. Moving back to slow, about half way back to slow, the speed dial is a bit harder to turn. It does turn, but I can tell there's some resistance inside and it's not the same as going the other way. No odd noises that I've noticed, other than the normal sound of a motor turning.

Ideas anyone? Is this normal?
charlese
Platinum Member

Re: Changing speeds

Post by charlese »

Normal, because you are compressing the big spring on the motor shaft.
oiling that shaft will reduce the strain. Raise the headstock to vertical and put plenty of oil on the shaft. let it soak in. Lower the headstock and hand pull and release the sheave. Don't spare the oil.

Two drops in the hole just won't get the job done.

Failure to lubricate this motor sheave has sorely contributed to failure of the upper mechanisms because of strain.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
ScottyBox
Gold Member

Post by ScottyBox »

Thanks. I also tightened the drive belt, it was a bit loose. Any way to tighten or need to tighten the idler belt?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

ScottyBox wrote:Thanks. I also tightened the drive belt, it was a bit loose. Any way to tighten or need to tighten the idler belt?
Lets's get some terminology on common ground. There are two belts in the SS. The motor belt is a common v-belt. The poly-v or gilmer belt could indeed be referred to as the drive belt and I assume that is what you tightened by rotating the eccentric on the idler shaft.

No the motor belt tension is NOT adjustable. That is the job of the floating sheave on the motor pulley.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ScottyBox
Gold Member

Post by ScottyBox »

Sorry, don't claim to be an expert at the terminology, doing the best I can based on watching video and looking at exploding diagrams, still new at this particular equipment. Yes, you have answered my question, thanks.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

ScottyBox wrote:Sorry, don't claim to be an expert at the terminology, doing the best I can based on watching video and looking at exploding diagrams, still new at this particular equipment. Yes, you have answered my question, thanks.
Nor do we! However when newbe uses confusing/ambiguous terminology it require clarification. No criticism intended. We all been there. Especially me since I also tend to make names up myself. :o
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange