Opening up the Power Pro head

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wa2crk
Platinum Member

Re: Opening up the Power Pro head

Post by wa2crk »

Why would they not perform out of warranty repair? They are the only place that can work on the equipment. Additionally they also do not provide any troubleshooting guides for any technicians to do the work. My wife saw something on Farcebook the other day that Shopsmith was looking for a technician with knowledge of Shopsmith equipment. Don't know if that was a scam or not, but it was interesting. Couldn't find it a second time.
Bill V
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I do hope this is a misunderstanding. If it is true that they don't do repairs after 2 years then they are not much of a "lifetime woodworking partner".

I would also say if this is true and if they have not provided information on how to get repairs done then this is a sad day.

I will also say if true then my recommendations to buy a powerpro will have to be taken back and replaced with a DO NOT BUY.

Hope we hear more on this.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
poihths
Gold Member

Post by poihths »

They gave me no further advice or information. Your mileage may vary. If so, please post it here!

As for it being a misunderstanding, the words I put in quotes were directly copied from their email to me. To repeat: "We no longer do repairs unless the headstock is still under the 2 year warranty."
kd6vpe
Platinum Member

Post by kd6vpe »

I just got off the phone with customer service and was told that this is a true change. I told her about this thread. She said she was going to call the owner to find out what we can do if we need repairs. She said she will call me back when she hears from the owner. I will not wait for the call due to past history. But I did let her know that the web admin should put something out on this thread or somewhere before they start getting too many calls. Or maybe we all need to start calling to really get their attention.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

poihths wrote:They gave me no further advice or information. Your mileage may vary. If so, please post it here!

As for it being a misunderstanding, the words I put in quotes were directly copied from their email to me. To repeat: "We no longer do repairs unless the headstock is still under the 2 year warranty."
This just reinforces my concerns from another post. I don't understand why Shopsmith doesn't stock and have part numbers for the electronics (power supply module), LCD touch module, etc. These should be standard stock items that owners can order to have a spare or when they need a repair after the 2 year warranty. Also, these should be at reasonable cost and not cost half of a new PowerPro. Is it possible to get these parts directly from Striatech or whoever the OEM is?
Last edited by RFGuy on Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

RFGuy wrote:
poihths wrote:They gave me no further advice or information. Your mileage may vary. If so, please post it here!

This just reinforces my concerns from another post. I don't understand why Shopsmith doesn't stock and have part numbers for the electronics (power supply module), LCD touch module, etc. These should be standard stock items that owners can order to have a spare or when they need a repair after the 2 year warranty. Also, these should be at reasonable cost and not cost half of a new PowerPro. It is possible to get these parts directly from Striatech or whoever the OEM is?
Is it possible??? Has anyone here on the forum attempted to requisition either piece parts or assemblies from the OEM.

If you can -- do you know how to install and test the defective assembly (say power supply or display board) after you receive the parts. I have years of experience doing that sort of work but I have always had access to pertinent technical data to reference.

Can PowerPro piece parts be requisitioned from Shopsmith??? Not piece parts that are common to the Mark 5/V but piece parts unique to the PowerPro.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

RFGuy wrote:

This just reinforces my concerns from another post. I don't understand why Shopsmith doesn't stock and have part numbers for the electronics (power supply module), LCD touch module, etc. These should be standard stock items that owners can order to have a spare or when they need a repair after the 2 year warranty. Also, these should be at reasonable cost and not cost half of a new PowerPro. It is possible to get these parts directly from Striatech or whoever the OEM is?
The control panel, probably not since it is surely proprietary to Shopsmith. The power supply and motor maybe.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

dusty wrote:
RFGuy wrote:
poihths wrote:
Is it possible??? Has anyone here on the forum attempted to requisition either piece parts or assemblies from the OEM.
Yeah, I mistyped earlier. I meant to ask "is it possible". I edited my post to correct this. Thanks for catching this Dusty.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

NOT a good indicator. :eek:

All too many occurring lately. :(
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Poof. The sound of any desire I had to buy a Power Pro.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!