Opening up the Power Pro head

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

kd6vpe
Platinum Member

Re: Opening up the Power Pro head

Post by kd6vpe »

Well no call back yet, so any questions about parts are unknown. I forgot to mention I was told to Google power pro repair and I did get an interesting hit. Www.shopsmithrepair.com
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

kd6vpe wrote:Well no call back yet, so any questions about parts are unknown. I forgot to mention I was told to Google power pro repair and I did get an interesting hit. http://Www.shopsmithrepair.com
Very interesting. Why would SS say to Google and not give you the URL directly? :confused: :confused: :confused:
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

When I called last March or April, I was told to send in the parts and that they would send them to the manufacturer for repairs. This was accomplished as promised. Yes, SS does not perform the repairs themselves, but that doesn't mean they won't receive and forward the parts to the repair facility. Unless that's exactly what they told you, I wouldn'd assume the parts can't be repaired via SS.
Also, when I asked if I could purchase the parts I was told yes, at $500 for each part.
Fred Sheldon
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

kd6vpe wrote:Well no call back yet, so any questions about parts are unknown. I forgot to mention I was told to Google power pro repair and I did get an interesting hit. http://Www.shopsmithrepair.com
HE was an authorized SS repair facility at one time.

He posted his SS designed floating sheave spring(motor shaft) compressor a while back.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
shopsmithpaul
Gold Member

Post by shopsmithpaul »

Just checked the warranty on the website and Powerpro has 5 year parts and labor and standard headstock has 2 year parts and labor. If they can't provide service for Powerpro I am not interested anymore. Was thinking of taking the plunge.
510, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, jointmatic
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jsburger wrote:
Very interesting. Why would SS say to Google and not give you the URL directly? :confused: :confused: :confused:
Passing on 'hearsay' rather than known 'facts'. An all to common event nowadays!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
poihths
Gold Member

Post by poihths »

As far as part numbers are concerned, you can find the part numbers for all the parts, including the electronic ones, on the blowup diagrams and parts lists that come in the Shopsmith manual. For the headstock only, you can also get that same information in PDF form by asking Customer Service to send you the PDF of the DIY instructions for installing the PowerPro upgrade kit into the Mark V.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

shopsmithpaul wrote:Just checked the warranty on the website and Powerpro has 5 year parts and labor and standard headstock has 2 year parts and labor. If they can't provide service for Powerpro I am not interested anymore. Was thinking of taking the plunge.
I think this might be getting blown out of shape.

If I understand correctly, Shopsmith will provide repair service on a PowerPro but it may not be done onsite (by shopsmith). PowerPro circuit boards and Power Supplies will likely get get sent back to source for repair.

Ready source of correct parts and technical literature could be a significant factor for "a shade tree technician".

There has been a lot of "Fake News" lately Some of it is not in the political arena.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote: . . .
There has been a lot of "Fake News" lately Some of it is not in the political arena.
I hope the stuff about SS no longer doing stuff is fake. But I doubt so. Too many instances have occurred. Any parts no longer in current production are N/A. :mad:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

Interesting thread. I made the plunge to the upgrade and was glad I did. I can see why Shopsmith doesn't do the repairs, since Nova developed the technology. I would be very surprised if Nova would have trained Shopsmith personnel to repair their technology. I, too,thought about it long and hard, however it was the best choice for me. Since I don't trust myself to do things like the DIY upgrade, I did take advantage of Shopsmith doing the upgrade for me. When I picked up the upgrade, it also included a new sticker showing when the upgrade occurred.
BPR