Opening up the Power Pro head

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

poihths
Gold Member

Opening up the Power Pro head

Post by poihths »

OK, it's time to try to figure out why my Power Pro sits there like a bump on a log when I try to turn it on. Yes, the plug is good and the circuit breaker is good.

First question: should I do the disassembly with the head still on the waytubes, or should I pull the head off the waytubes to work on it? Is there any advantage to doing the extra work to get the thing off the waytubes?

Second question: if I leave it on the waytubes, is there any advantage to having the thing tilted up either way, or is it best to just leave it horizontal?
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Re: Opening up the Power Pro head

Post by wa2crk »

Try to pop the switch out of the casting and make sure that the switch is still good and that all the wires are still attached. If all that checks OK then more extensive troubleshooting may be required.
Bill V
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

When I installed the PP in my 520, the instructions had the way tubes tilted up and the table mounted just under the bottom of the housing. That way you could tilt the motor out of the housing right onto the table. Same thing when you reinstall the motor. My failure was due to a bad power supply, which was repaired by the manufacture for a total cost of $350.00. I only sent in the power supply and display unit hoping the issue would be in one of those parts.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

fredsheldon wrote:When I installed the PP in my 520, the instructions had the way tubes tilted up and the table mounted just under the bottom of the housing. That way you could tilt the motor out of the housing right onto the table. Same thing when you reinstall the motor. My failure was due to a bad power supply, which was repaired by the manufacture for a total cost of $350.00. I only sent in the power supply and display unit hoping the issue would be in one of those parts.
With the table inserted into the carriage from the 'bottom'?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
poihths
Gold Member

Post by poihths »

Yes, I’m a little confused as well. Do you mean with the tubes tilted up as they would be in drill press mode, and the power head pretty much right down on the table? If you can set your unit into the position you describe and post a picture, that would be great. Thanks!
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

Check out this video. It's the second video. You can skip to 1:20 to see what I'm talking about.
Fred

http://www.shopsmith.com/shopsmithpowerpro/pp_diy.htm
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

table reversed in vertical.jpg
table reversed in vertical.jpg (28.46 KiB) Viewed 18615 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
poihths
Gold Member

Post by poihths »

Thanks to all who have added to the thread!

I took quite a while off on this while I was doing a long project that didn't need the Shopsmith--refinishing a bunch of our patio furniture. Now I'm back onto it and it's not going well.

I have managed to teach myself how to disassemble and reassemble the PowerPro head, which actually isn't that bad. I took tons of notes and pictures while I did it and I plan to turn that into a web page. I'm not sure when I'll get to that.

First stop: replaced the power switch. Shosmith sent me a ShopFox model D4163 switch. That switch is available on Amazon for $10.90 plus tax if applicable with free shipping. Shopsmith charged me $48.65, including tax and shipping. Their base price on the switch is $32.41.

I got this info from Shopsmith: "The switch should be checked between the center terminal and the bottom terminal on each side." Since that doesn't tell me what the switch should show, I asked for clarification. Three times. No response. So I broke down and bought a new switch. When I test the new switch, continuity follows the switch position (on or off) between the center and bottom terminal on each side. On the old switch, continuity follows the switch position on the left and not on the right; the switch always shows continuity on the right.

So, I installed the new switch and I now see voltage in lots of places that I didn't see it before, but the control panel still shows nothing.

The latest: I decided that this is getting beyond me, so I emailed Shopsmith to ask if I could bring the headstock in for repair. The headstock is four years old. Their reply: "We no longer so repairs unless the headstock is still under the 2 year warranty." This headstock is four years old. So I'm on my own.

I'm now seeing voltage around the power supply but not at the control panel, so I'm thinking that's the next thing. I've asked Shopsmith if I can send just the power supply to them to be checked & replaced if necessary. I hope to get a reply.
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

I sent in my Power Supply and Display only and SS sent them out to the supplier to be tested and/or repaired. I received both back after a couple of weeks and reinstalled them along with the motor back into my backup headstock. It now runs and the display works again. SS didn't inform me exactly what was repaired when asked, but I don't really care since it works again. My unit was over 5 years old and well used. I was charged $350, including return shipping. It cost $45 to ship to SS.
Fred Sheldon
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

If Shopsmith no longer performs out-of-warranty repair, do they recommend somewhere to go for those repairs?

Do any of the other Shopsmith repair facilities claim to be able to handle the PowerPro?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.