Speed Increaser Maintenance

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ferrarod
Bronze Member

Speed Increaser Maintenance

Post by ferrarod »

Hey all - I think I'm just being cheap by asking this here, but I couldn't find a downloadable manual for the SI. Picked one up used and unsure of it's history. Anyone able to give me a few pointers on if certain parts need lubrication like with the headstock? Any internal bearings I may need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance...
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Speed Increaser Maintenance

Post by dusty »

ferrarod wrote:Hey all - I think I'm just being cheap by asking this here, but I couldn't find a downloadable manual for the SI. Picked one up used and unsure of it's history. Anyone able to give me a few pointers on if certain parts need lubrication like with the headstock? Any internal bearings I may need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance...
Probably but only after you reveal what it is that you picked up.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Skizzity
Gold Member

Re: RE: Re: Speed Increaser Maintenance

Post by Skizzity »

dusty wrote:
ferrarod wrote:Hey all - I think I'm just being cheap by asking this here, but I couldn't find a downloadable manual for the SI. Picked one up used and unsure of it's history. Anyone able to give me a few pointers on if certain parts need lubrication like with the headstock? Any internal bearings I may need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance...
Probably but only after you reveal what it is that you picked up.
Speed Increaser. In the title too.
PowerPro Mark 7, 11" Bandsaw, 4" Jointer, 12" Professional Planer, DC3300 Dust Collector, DW745, DW718 w/ DW723 and a DW788 w/ DW7880.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. -Winston Churchill
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The Speed Increaser has sealed bearings so the only maintenance is every ten hours thoroughly cleaning the housing & support spindle and checking the screws are all tight.

You can order a manual from Shopsmith. It is P/N 845268 Mark V Increaser Owner's Manual cost $10.49

Reference: Speed Increaser Instruction Manual page 22 Maintenance
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
ferrarod
Bronze Member

Post by ferrarod »

Thanks Russ - that sounds great.
tucsonguy
Gold Member

Post by tucsonguy »

ferrarod wrote:Thanks Russ - that sounds great.
If you join the Facebook group Shopsmith Owners Group you should find the SI manual in their files section.

Shopsmith still sells the speed increaser disk, which is a cheap plastic disk which transfers the power from the spindle to the shaper/router arbor. This is the only 'consumable' part meant to be replaced on the speed increaser.
Geoff Baker
1951 10ER w variable speed electronic motor with reverse
1999 520 w PowerPro
Belt sander - strip sander - bandsaw - scrollsaw - jointer - overarm router - undertable router mounted on main SS saw table - speed increaser - speed reducer - forced air HEPA filter for headstock - 19" SS powered aluminum drum sander - index wheel system - lathe table crossslide vise system