2010 Power Pro good purchase?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

shopsmithpaul
Gold Member

2010 Power Pro good purchase?

Post by shopsmithpaul »

Through some connection I came across an older 510 upgraded to Power Pro in 2010 with several SPTs . Fair price, should I go for it? Wondering about early version of Power Pro.
510, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, jointmatic
dickg1
Gold Member

Re: 2010 Power Pro good purchase?

Post by dickg1 »

The serial number of my Power Pro is 09-01-10. I understand that this was the first fully assembled one delivered. I have had one issue that resolved itself and would consider another if I decided to update one of my two minis.
Dick
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

I did my DIY Power Pro on Labor Day weekend of 2010. Early on, I had to call Wes at Shopsmith to set the feedback-controller settings to get rid of clanking in some modes such as disk-sanding. Ever since then it has been a trooper.

I've said my opinion elsewhere, the PowerPro ideal owner is perhaps someone who's not averse to a bit of tinkering and tuning. I'm probably tolerant to a fault on that. Anyway, at the end of the day, like most Power Pro owners, I would hate to go back to the old headstock.

Chris
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

I got my factory assembled Power Pro in Oct of 2010. I have not had a problem with it. I kept my old original headstock just in case. I have rebuilt my original headstock twice in 35 years. Not a bad record.
Bill V
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I bought my full up Power Pro head stock in Dec 2012 and it was delivered in Jan 2013 with a Jan 2013 date sticker. I have not had one problem with it.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

I did a self install of the Power Pro in 2010 as well and have turned over 100 bowls since. It quit working in 2016, so I installed my backup head stock, which I had modified to run in reverse. I finally got around to sending in the power supply/controller and display unit for repairs in May of this year. I got the repaired controller back a few months ago, reinstalled it in my head stock but have not put it back on the 520. My old head stock with two way motor seems to work just fine so I'm in no hurry to put it back on.
Fred
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

I would definitely go for it. It looks like it is in excellent condition if it is this one listed in Pella. https://desmoines.craigslist.org/tls/d/ ... 42890.html The 2 power stands, band saw, belt sander, jointer, thickness planer and scroll saw would cost you almost as much as the asking price for the entire package.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router