motor update in 1956 Greenie

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

cjblack
Bronze Member

motor update in 1956 Greenie

Post by cjblack »

I recently burned up my 3/4 HP GE motor in SS resawing red oak. Blade was recently sharpened. I can't afford the powerpro headstock, as I am on disability fixed income. Any suggestions to upgrade motor to a larger horsepower output? Do I have to replace my motor pan with a newer version to do so?

I feel maybe since motor was original from 1956, it was just too weak to do what I asked it to, but have heard others say it was under powered for hardwoods from the beginning.

I know some may suggest ebay, but haven't found one, nor a headstock which I can afford to swap out with on there yet, and my project is a rocking chair for my daughter and her newborn... time is of essence here.

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
shopsmithpaul
Gold Member

Re: motor update in 1956 Greenie

Post by shopsmithpaul »

Can I ask what city and state you live in.
510, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, jointmatic
cjblack
Bronze Member

Post by cjblack »

Stanfordville ny
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Did the coils on the motor burn up or is there a possibility it could be repaired?

What are the symptoms of the motor? For example, does it hum and fail to start by chance?

Should you obtain a 3/4 HP replacement motor some times it can help to use a 5/8 replacement arbor and a smaller diameter blade It will take a small amount less power. Based on the age your machine is, it may already be small.

A really clean blade waxed with Johnson's Paste Wax can help reduce that power requirement, even when it's sharp.

Really well aligned blade to table and rip fence will help to dramatically reduce power especially on ripping.

I have no way to know your experience level with the Shopsmith, or woodworking so please excuse my comments if I am way off base here

There are posts with excellent information on rebuilding and diagnosing that GE motor.

Equally the condition of the Drive Sleeve and quill bearings, the Drive Belt a d Sheave assembly sets can also contribute to rob power from the motor regardless of size.

Someone near you may reply with a part or offer their workshop to help you finish your project.

Lots of very kind folks in the forums.

Also look for the Facebook Group specializing in Shopsmith Sales which is a group of owners and sellers who may have a reasonably priced motor 3/4 or even 1 1/8 HP

Equally important is the condition of your electrical service to the outlet you use, the condition of the power cord, and a really beefy extension cord if you're using one. A more powerful motor will exacerbate that problem.

Keep us posted and we will help where we can.

Everett
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Check out Jacob Anderson's site. He may have a used motor, etc. He also has over 30 free YouTube videos that can help you with various service, diagnostic, and repairs. He also sells a DVD set on motor repair.

See https://jacobs-repairshop.com for more info including phone number etc

Everett
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

I know you are resawing and you didn't say if you were using the tablesaw or the bandsaw which is what I use to resaw whenever possible. Since you said the blade was sharpened recently I must presume tablesaw. An ultra thin micro kerf blade reduces the kerf and the Power drain. Likely you will need the 5/8 Shopsmith arbor to use one, but they help cut down on power loss as well as material loss

Everett
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

All of Everett's suggestions were good, but in case you haven't thought about Craigslist, you might try that too if you truly need a replacement. Availability and costs vary greater depending on region. Also, search using term "Shopsmith" and as 2 words "Shop Smith". I found this when searching using 2 words which didn't show up when searched just as one word. This machine is about the same age as mine (mine is 1980), and I would never think of selling mine for this little. If you are willing to drive a little further, expand your search range and who knows what you will find!
https://westernmass.craigslist.org/tls/ ... 36534.html
Attachments
00W0W_cPGXAd99UXt_1200x900.jpg
00W0W_cPGXAd99UXt_1200x900.jpg (150.92 KiB) Viewed 10724 times
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

There is 3/4 GE ON eBay for 99.99 plus shipping

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shopsmith-Mark ... Sw9lBcGXpH

Everett
cjblack
Bronze Member

Post by cjblack »

Smoked it and tripped breaker. Haven't tried to start it back up, but something cooked pretty bad.
Using 5/8 arbor with thin kerf blade, ss set to saw speed on speed dial.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

One thing to keep in mind for future reference, you get more torque if you use a lower speed. You also need to use a slower feed rate, don't push the work faster than the blade wants to cut.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,