220 volt

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

woodennickel
Silver Member

220 volt

Post by woodennickel »

Would changing my shopsmith to 220 volt make a noticeable difference? I now have that option would like opinions of people that have tried it.
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: 220 volt

Post by dusty »

woodennickel wrote:Would changing my shopsmith to 220 volt make a noticeable difference? I now have that option would like opinions of people that have tried it.
Those that have done it will likely swear by it. Those that have not done it don't know for certain. You'll not know for certain until you do it.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Do it!

Did that when purchasing new in 63.

Doing so reduced HP down to 1 HP(the dual voltage motor was 1 HP).

Never regretted it!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

The motor might make more power on 240v, but often, the belts slip before the motor runs out of power so it might not help.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

There will not be a power(HP) increase, but there will be more efficient running due to decreased line loss(power cord voltage drop)(current is reduced to half).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

If you are using a powerpro then it is just a cord end change to try it. I have not done so because I have not had any issues using 120. They claim more power but do you need it? I have seen belt slip but nothing like stalling the motor....

Ed

Edit:
The modern shopsmith has a 1-1/8HP motor the new powerpro says 1-3/4 (at 120 volts) or 2 HP (at 240 volts). I have stalled or nearly stalled the 1-1/8 motor but not the powerpro so I defiantly feel the extra power was worth the upgrade.
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
woodennickel
Silver Member

Post by woodennickel »

I think the expense of rewiring is what i am looking at. Trying to think through if a 1/2 horsepower is worth the expense. I have not had any issues with my powerpro as of yet.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

woodennickel wrote:I think the expense of rewiring is what i am looking at. Trying to think through if a 1/2 horsepower is worth the expense. I have not had any issues with my powerpro as of yet.
Just as I said in a different thread: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

Will you notice a difference? Possibly. It depends on the operation and the wood. Working with 4/4 hardwoods and thinner, making rips and cross cuts for cabinets, curios and the occasional shelf, probably not. 3/4” deep an 3/4” dados in very hard woods possibly, if you knew what making those cuts were like using the lesser power. If you do significant work in drill press mode using LARGE bits, probably. Using a jointer on wide pieces of dense hardwood, probably, but it will just seem easier. More hp just makes the heavy duty tasks seem a bit easier. I presume that the computer controlled compensations in the DVR motor are the same at either voltage, so that discussion is moot. If 220 DOES have more (or less) compensation than 110 I’d be surprised.

I switched over to 220 for a few reasons.
1. I had easy access to the panel and locations for outlets.
2. I can (maybe now switch that to “could”) do all that was required to put in the circuit and wiring a 220 is as simple as wiring a 110.
3. I had the audacity to ignore the rules and buy an adapter that allowed me to plug the 110 cord from my PowerPro into the 220 outlet.
4. I was curious to see if there is a SIGNIFICANT difference, which I don’t believe there is within the bounds of hobbyist wood working.

If your change is a simple as loping off the 110 plug and wiring on a 220, then you have little to lose except the 1/2” of power cord. If the change requires the cost of an electrician and parts, I would advise you to consider your biggest and toughest projects. If they still are using standard 4/4 woods and no large tasks, then best use that money for more wood or more toys.

I hope that is of some help but free advise is generally worth less than it’s costs.

Be well,
Ben
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

So the original ? Power Pro or something older?

I think it was about a Model 10 motor(1/2 HP).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝