Model 10ER speed changer disassembly

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Auditory
Bronze Member

Model 10ER speed changer disassembly

Post by Auditory »

How do you remove the axle rod from the speed changer housing? It has a set screw so I assumed it was just pressed in like most of the rods on the Model 10ER itself, but it won't come out. When I look in the set screw hole, there might be threads in there?? Any help is appreciated.
rpd
Platinum Member

Re: Model 10ER speed changer disassembly

Post by rpd »

Why do you want to remove it? I had mine all apart and did a repair but didn't feel a need to remove the axle. It seemed very solidly attached.

This is a thread I posted when I repaired mine.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... p?p=232471

On the third page of that thread, however, Chapmanruss posted pictures of one of his that a PO had broken, and it shows that the axle is screwed into the casting.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
amboyna
Gold Member

Post by amboyna »

rpd wrote:Why do you want to remove it? I had mine all apart and did a repair but didn't feel a need to remove the axle. It seemed very solidly attached.

This is a thread I posted when I repaired mine.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... p?p=232471

On the third page of that thread, however, Chapmanruss posted pictures of one of his that a PO had broken, and it shows that the axle is screwed into the casting.
I agree. Of the several I have refurbished I have never removed the axle.
I have tried before and never did have any luck. It is on pretty tight.

The axle is threaded. If you take the allen nut out you can see the threads. And the allen probably bunged up the threads. So unthreading the post could cause damage to the aluminum.
Shopsmith 10E S/N 5804 restored.
Shopsmith 10ER S/N R39267; purchased 10-10-50 in San Francisco.
Bruce Brenner
http://www.vintagepbks.com/shopsmith.html
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

As Ron and Bruce have asked,
Why do you need to take out the "axle"? It is threaded in and held with a set screw. The set screw "damages" the threads and it will be difficult if not impossible to remove without damage. The broken one I have that Ron referenced still does not want to come out of what is left of the threaded part. I would have to break the remaining casting to get it out of it.
Broken Speed Changer 2.jpg
Broken Speed Changer 2.jpg (190.41 KiB) Viewed 7332 times
I cannot tell you how it broke as it was broken when I bought it with a 10ER. All the ones I have restored, I have taped over the axle before painting. If the axle is damaged you would be better off finding one for sale that has the main casting damaged and buying if for the Axle Support Assembly you need.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Auditory
Bronze Member

Post by Auditory »

Thank you for your responses. I am repainting the body of the changer. I took your advice, left the axle in place, taped it off and everything came out fine.