Belt for the 555272 motorized scroll saw...

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tucsonguy
Gold Member

Belt for the 555272 motorized scroll saw...

Post by tucsonguy »

For those of you with motorized Shopsmith scroll saws, I have just recently managed to find a source for belts (Shopsmith's website no longer lists the part, and I did not hear back from Shopsmith about availability, so I ended up searching on my own. Perhaps Shopsmith will get new belts at some point, but in the meantime, there is a solution.)
Bandsaw Tire Warehouse in New Jersey, also operating on ebay as Shopsmithparts.com, made up belts to my specification and sent them to me. They are 1/2 wide by 14.5 inches long and around 1/8 thick.
They fit perfectly, at a good tension.

Bad news: boy, are they a monster to install! You may have better luck because I have a custom made pulley which has less clearance on it than the original pulley so you may be able to get yours around without having to remove the circlips and set screws and drive out the weighted axle with the pulley in order to get the belt in around the pulley; and I also had to disassemble the bracket that mounts the motor to the base to get the belt around the motor pulley. (This one is a bit thicker and less flexible than the original, which you #might# have been able to slip on around the pulley without disassembling the bracket, I don't know).

But - you CAN get them on, they WILL work, and they look like they should give many years of service.

Call Gary at 9082412885 or email to sales@shopsmithparts.com. He's made a note of the size and knows that the belt is for the 555272 motorized Shopsmith scroll saw.
Geoff Baker
1951 10ER w variable speed electronic motor with reverse
1999 520 w PowerPro
Belt sander - strip sander - bandsaw - scrollsaw - jointer - overarm router - undertable router mounted on main SS saw table - speed increaser - speed reducer - forced air HEPA filter for headstock - 19" SS powered aluminum drum sander - index wheel system - lathe table crossslide vise system