V-belt replacement

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

roneg
Gold Member

V-belt replacement

Post by roneg »

Hello, Can someone please direct me to the specific post that describes how to replace the v -belt on my greenie? I clicked on sawdust's video's and got a error 404.

Also..any same size belt do?

Thank You.
"The older I get..The better I was"
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Re: V-belt replacement

Post by terrydowning »

I have yet to find a NON shopsmith replacement belt for my greenie. Fortunately these are still available the mother ship. Good thing too as as Poly V conversion is a bit pricey.

Last time I got belts from the Shopsmith they came with detailed replacement instructions.

a quick you tube search found Jacob Anderson
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsmjNN ... T7n1YwncQQ

the drive belt replacement is this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcBoSAh ... e=youtu.be

Lots of videos on there should be able to find some help there.

Jacob also appears to sell a replacement drive belt. but I can't speak for it.
https://jacobshopsmithrepair.com/

there are other videos as well on you tube.

good luck
roneg
Gold Member

Post by roneg »

Thank You Terry that's exactly what I was needing!
jjj240
Gold Member

Post by jjj240 »

Doesn't 4L260 work on greenie and later headstock?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Close, but not exactly. Narrow and not correct length. 'works' speed range not as intended

I think 'Jacob' touts them.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Shopmith does not provide other than a Shopsmith number that means anything. They do not describe the physical characteristics that you would need to purchase a belt. The Shosmith belt measures 26 3/4" on the outside circumference. A new belt is 1/2" on the outer perimeter and 9/32" on the inner. Mine is 19/64" thick.

I have a belt that I bought from Shopsmith that has no markings at all. It works but it rests in the pulleys differently. It is wider and longer (not by much) but it is different. I now keep it as an emergency spare.
Mark V Model 510 Reeves
Mark V Model 510 Reeves
Reeves for the Fortum.png (55.56 KiB) Viewed 25454 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

The belts I purchased from Shopsmith come with an instruction sheet. I followed it and the task was easy. Here is a link to it.
http://stegmiller.midcoip.net/~gary/replacebelt.pdf

Also, the 1983 owner's manual that came with my Shopsmith has an older version of a page for belt replacement.
roneg
Gold Member

Post by roneg »

I should probably provide further information at this point. My current belt is still intact however it has become deformed. It wants to turn inside-out. when I try to correct it ,it turns again inside/sideways out. I believe it is a shopsmith brand or one they use it has perelli brand attached (in green) labeling. Like I think I saw in, sawdust's video

Ron
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

roneg wrote:I should probably provide further information at this point. My current belt is still intact however it has become deformed. It wants to turn inside-out. when I try to correct it ,it turns again inside/sideways out. I believe it is a shopsmith brand or one they use it has perelli brand attached (in green) labeling. Like I think I saw in, sawdust's video

Ron
Perelli was, at one time long ago, a provider of Shopsmith belts. My first Shopsmith Mark V came to me (new direct from Dayton) with a Perelli masked belt which I am sure would have had a part number. These days we know not who the manufacturer might be. Shopsmith does not provide that information. In fact, I believe they try real hard NOT to disclose who their manufacturers are.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I ordered some belts from Shopsmith in the summer of 2015, and they had these at that time.
belt.jpg
belt.jpg (90.73 KiB) Viewed 25355 times