Is the 520 Pro Fence and Table System Upgrade worth it?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Is the 520 Pro Fence and Table System Upgrade worth it?

Post by JPG »

Damn I am glad we all finally got on the same side of the table! :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

I am coming in late on this one but I definitely like the 520 fence. More t slots for stock guides etc and aligns better than the 500 of 510. I started with the 500 fence and thought the 510 was great but the 520 is a major upgrade IMHO.
Paul
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

ONLY if someone leaves the room!
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:ONLY if someone leaves the room!
Whodat???
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
runamuk13
Silver Member

Post by runamuk13 »

As the originator of this thread, I truly appreciate everyone's input. I have learned a lot.

It's a time in this country where nothing is unanimous, but, thanks to all you guys, I received a definitive and unanimous answer - the 520 fence upgrade is worth it.

Ok, I'll save up my lunch money and watch for the 520 Pro Fence Upgrade to go on sale.

Thanks again.
Runamuk13
Mark V - 500 --> 510 --> 520 --> 7 PowerPro
Bandsaw, Jointer, Planer and more
Shopsmith owner since 1984
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

runamuk13 wrote:Ok, I'll save up my lunch money and watch for the 520 Pro Fence Upgrade to go on sale.
Here's a used upgrade for about $185 less than new from Shopsmith, plus seller accepts returns

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shopsmith-Mark ... SwwmBci8eG
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

runamuk13 wrote:As the originator of this thread, I truly appreciate everyone's input. I have learned a lot.

It's a time in this country where nothing is unanimous, but, thanks to all you guys, I received a definitive and unanimous answer - the 520 fence upgrade is worth it.

Ok, I'll save up my lunch money and watch for the 520 Pro Fence Upgrade to go on sale.

Thanks again.
Runamuk13
Don't hold your breathe!
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

RFGuy wrote: I wish my stainless steel tape measure was just slight narrower in width so that I couldn't accidentally catch the edge of it and lift it like this, or I wish the magnet could be a rare earth magnet kind that has more holding force. I haven't seen any adhesive backed rare earth magnet tape though. Anyone else have this problem with the 520, or better yet anyone have any fixes or tips they can share? This problem doesn't happen often to me, but when it does it is annoying
I haven’t a solution, but I did explore one using neodymium magnets. K&J magnetics sell N42 as thin as 1/32”. They have a couple rectangular magnets, B3301 is 3/16 x 3/16 x 1/32 and B6301 is 3/8 x 3/16 x 1/32. I had though of scraping off the magnet on the table and epoxying a few magnets along the way. Maybe put in 1/32 shims in between the magnets to give the tape a level and stable base. I’ve knocked off the plastic guide so many times that I made a replacement using some thin aluminum bar stock bent to an ‘L’ and attached using sliding T-nuts. Maybe this spring or Summer I’ll try the magnet replacements. Currently the B3301 are 14 cents each quantity 1 (they offer discounts but I think you need to buy 10 before it goes into effect) and the B6301 are 23 cents each.
Hope that gives you another thought path.

Be well,
Ben
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

RFGuy wrote:The only negative thing I will say about my 520 fence system is having to do with the stainless steel tape measure with magnetic attachment. On mine, the stainless steel tape measure is a tiny bit wider than the rail ledge on the 520 table system. What this means is that on occasion I will bump it with my hand and it lifts up throwing off the alignment that I had with the tape measure relative to the saw blade position. I wish my stainless steel tape measure was just slight narrower in width so that I couldn't accidentally catch the edge of it and lift it like this, or I wish the magnet could be a rare earth magnet kind that has more holding force.
Yes I have had issues with the rules to the point that I have had to replace them after catching and actually bending them. I guess the size was so that you had a place to grip them to lift them to take them off or to reposition them. If they stick too well you might end up bending them trying to move them????

Anyway I have no solution but I have since stopped using them for the most part. They are OK for birdhouses and the like but not close enough for more precision work, well the rules and my eye sight are finding that anyway.

On my other 520 that is set up with the saw train I never bothered to install them and ending up bending one of them to, still in the bag.....

I haven't looked around for other options but I do know that my foot long ss rule is about the same width and magnetic so I sometimes stick that on and use it. That works pretty well.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

benush26 wrote:
RFGuy wrote: I wish my stainless steel tape measure was just slight narrower in width so that I couldn't accidentally catch the edge of it and lift it like this, or I wish the magnet could be a rare earth magnet kind that has more holding force. I haven't seen any adhesive backed rare earth magnet tape though. Anyone else have this problem with the 520, or better yet anyone have any fixes or tips they can share? This problem doesn't happen often to me, but when it does it is annoying
I haven’t a solution, but I did explore one using neodymium magnets. K&J magnetics sell N42 as thin as 1/32”. They have a couple rectangular magnets, B3301 is 3/16 x 3/16 x 1/32 and B6301 is 3/8 x 3/16 x 1/32. I had though of scraping off the magnet on the table and epoxying a few magnets along the way. Maybe put in 1/32 shims in between the magnets to give the tape a level and stable base. I’ve knocked off the plastic guide so many times that I made a replacement using some thin aluminum bar stock bent to an ‘L’ and attached using sliding T-nuts. Maybe this spring or Summer I’ll try the magnet replacements. Currently the B3301 are 14 cents each quantity 1 (they offer discounts but I think you need to buy 10 before it goes into effect) and the B6301 are 23 cents each.
Hope that gives you another thought path.

Be well,
Ben
Thanks, Ben. I like your idea, but I am not sure if it will give enough improvement. For a test this morning, I went out in the shop and tried putting the stainless steel tape measure on top of some round button rare earth magnets that I had in the shop. These are 1/2" round button magnets. I was surprised how easily I could lift the edge of the tape measure off the magnet. Once an edge starts to lift it is very easy to pull the tape measure right off. It seemed like the force to hold was maybe 10% stronger with these rare earth button magnets. I know, not a scientific experiment, just my gut feel but I would have expected a lot more holding power from such a strong magnet. Thinking about this a bit more, I think the answer lies in the fact that the tape measure is a stainless steel. Depending on which type of stainless steel Shopsmith picked, the magnetic force could be quite weak due to the higher nickel content of the stainless steel.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor