Aligning jigsaw to headstock power hub?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

PhilSC
Gold Member

Aligning jigsaw to headstock power hub?

Post by PhilSC »

Got my old Magna jigsaw cleaned up, oils and running with a minor issue. I got the power hub on the jigsaw lined up vertically with the headstock power hub by adjusting the jigsaw mounting leg height, but the two hubs are about 1/4” out of alignment horizontally. How can I adjust this?
I can use the standard SS coupler, but I don’t think it will work for long without breaking. Thanks in advance!
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Aligning jigsaw to headstock power hub?

Post by chapmanruss »

Since the Jig Saw has straight mounting tubes there is no horizontal adjustment for it. I wonder if the headrest is out of alignment with the bench tubes which would cause this problem. Have you mounted any other straight tube SPT's to your Shopsmith?
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

This link will take you to the paper work that came with my machine that explains horizontal adjustment for spt's with straight legs:

https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... 32#p244532

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
PhilSC
Gold Member

Post by PhilSC »

Thanks,Ed! I figured SS had some procedure to solve this problem, and it looks like this will do the trick! I’ll give it a try next week and report back.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

A CAVEAT here. The 'twist' fix will alter ALL SPT alignments as well as the aux table. I do not think the SPT's vary enough for that to be an issue. However SS INC. created the off set posts for mounting SPTs. That does make it somewhat easier to align each spt, but I think that obscures the cause(end casting skewed). I have a mixture of SPTs with both straight and off set tubes. I consider the straight tubes to be providing a reliable reference(the end casting is adjusted as ED's procedure describes). The off set tubes are adjusted to match. I have no interchangibility issues caused by horizontal misalignment.

Keep in mind that the end casting front to rear tilt adjustment can also affect the 'horizontal alignment'. I consider that adjustment to be ONLY for insuring way tubes are parallel to the bench tubes. Yes there is 'stuff' that uses that big screw for other objectives(and creates twist as the headstock is moved back and forth). Part of the aux table failing to align on both ends. If thee has a double tilt ignore this paragraph. It will only confuse thee.

P.S. That 'stuff' about the adjustment screw in Ed's referenced procedure is what I referred to as 'stuff' above. I would NOT adjust it for lateral alignment of SPT's.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange