Replacing bearings on a 2-bearing quill

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

docvox
Silver Member

Replacing bearings on a 2-bearing quill

Post by docvox »

I am trying to replace my quill bearings. The lower bearing I removed with a bearing puller, but needed to press of the upper bearing, due to the length of the splines on the spindle. When starting to press, the inner race started to peel off the splines. It appears to sit against a machined shoulder so the bearing can ONLY slide over the splines. Is that "shoulder" instead a collar that slips over the spindle to separate the bearings?
rcplaneguy
Platinum Member

Re: Replacing bearings on a 2-bearing quill

Post by rcplaneguy »

Can you post a photo?
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Re: Replacing bearings on a 2-bearing quill

Post by everettdavis »

In the My Google Drive link under the Large Format Drawings thread you will find a Bearings folder. In that Download the Shopsmith Bearing Guide

I created that PDF with extensive discussions on a variety of issues including the specific one you mentioned. There are several types of spindle configurations and yours is discussed with pictures and written explanations.

That post will be one of the top three In Maintenance and Repair Forum. Follow the My Google Drive link. Don’t just view it online. Download it and you can really zoom in size for detail.

Your issues are with the two piece spindle which will be press fit (interference fit) or pinned.

Care must be taken to not bend the spindle during separation and bearing removal. That too is discussed with examples and photos.
Everett