Off for another adventure

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

P89DC
Gold Member

Re: Off for another adventure

Post by P89DC »

JPG wrote:
ryanbp01 wrote: . . . I am unable to figure out how the power cord is/was connected from the motor to the headstock and to and to the outlet. . . .
BPR
Outlet?????
Allow me to help expand your knowledge of American English. Perhaps going forward you could use a dictionary and become more independent as your knowledge grows:

outlet [ out-let, -lit ]
Electricity.
a point on a wiring system at which current is taken to supply electric devices.
Also called outlet box. the metal box or receptacle designed to facilitate connections to a wiring system.
1986 510, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, scroll saw, jigsaw and lots of accessories. Shopsmith woodworking bench too!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Power cord wiring is not 'connected' to an outlet, but rather is usually plugged into the outlet. The power cord wiring includes the plug which plugs into the outlet. FWIW what we typically refer to as an outlet is more specifically a receptacle.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

I meant to say plug in the previous post. My son checked out the motor and it's good. Anyway, I'm in the process of cleaning up the headstock and other cast iron parts to prepare them for painting. Here ismy next question: since I am sticking with keeping the color as close to the original, is there a color in the Rustoleum line which would be a good match? I think there is a thread which discusses this but I couldn't find it.
BPR
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

For painting the Model 10's I use Rustoleum Charcoal Gray. It is a gloss finish paint but I prefer to put a Matte Finish Clear Coat over it. The clear coat gives the finish a little extra protection. This makes them very close to the original color and finish. That is the paint finish on 10E S/N 1077 shown below.
1077 on bench r.jpg
1077 on bench r.jpg (222.65 KiB) Viewed 17516 times
I'm glad to here the motor is good. These old motors do seem to last forever or close to it. I have yet to get a bad motor with any of the 22 Model 10's and motors I have purchased. The most they have needed is a good cleaning, new power cord and a few I replaced the bearings. I do replace the power cords since after around 70 years they end up brittle and unsafe. Of course I painted them too. Some I have painted the same gray as the rest of the Shopsmith and others I have painted a Rustoleum Hammered Finish Silver.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

What is the best practice for cleaning the main table before applying wax since it appears to be cast iron? In addition, I want get rid of what appears to be black stains in the miter slots.
BPR
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

I need to make a correction. I think the table is made of aluminum since a magnet would not stick to it.
BPR
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The table is aluminum. I use a wire wheel for "cleaning" up most of the parts on my restorations, even the tables. Remember it is over 70 years old so it is not likely to come out looking brand new but can look very good if there aren't drill holes or deep scrapes in it. Avoid sanding it as that will remove material from the surface and can cause uneven spots trying to remove deep stains. Scouring pads can also be helpful in "cleaning" the table and parts. The main idea is to get the "gunk" off the surface without removing the base material. If there are "dings" in spots they may need to be filed down. I find these in places where set screw's contact and make removal/reassembly difficult but can be found elsewhere. A common one is on the Lathe Tool Rest shaft that goes into the arm.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

Russ,

Thank you very much. As far as other posts from Farmer and others, I don't mean to come off as a "pompous ass", it's just that I wish to learn from others who have undertaken such projects in the past.
BPR
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

On the Facebook group some have reported using a random orbit sander with fine paper.

Haven't tried that myself. I just rubbed mine down with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. (warning. don't use it dry. makes a lot of fine dust :eek: ) I wasn't looking for shiny, It lightened it up a few shades and took the dirt out of the scratches, I was happy with that. :)
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,