Off for another adventure

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Off for another adventure

Post by jsburger »

I know this is probably not an option for you, but I have a Harbor Freight :eek: blast cabinet. That is what I use to clean everything. Well not everything. Not the way tubes, table tubes, quill, etc..I use a very fine glass media on everything else. I don't know the grit off the top of my head. It leaves a bit of a mat finish on aluminum. I then use Dico Nyalox abrasive wheels and aluminum polish if needed.

https://dicoproducts.com/products.php?gid=5
Attachments
IMAG0290-1.jpg
IMAG0290-1.jpg (167.58 KiB) Viewed 12536 times
IMAG0301.jpg
IMAG0301.jpg (206.96 KiB) Viewed 12536 times
IMAG0316.jpg
IMAG0316.jpg (205.19 KiB) Viewed 12536 times
IMAG0115.jpg
IMAG0115.jpg (175.82 KiB) Viewed 12536 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

ryanbp01 wrote:Russ,

Thank you very much. As far as other posts from Farmer and others, I don't mean to come off as a "pompous ass", it's just that I wish to learn from others who have undertaken such projects in the past.
BPR

BPR: Sorry for any confusion, my post was not directed at you at all. I do follow your postings with interest.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

Thanks, Farmer, I really appreciate it.
BPR
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Without a doubt this thread has some of the most absolutely beautiful 10 series Shopsmiths I have ever seen. :eek: :)
Kind of inspires me to want to go downstairs and start on my humble 10-ER. It's a decent machine but a million miles away from those seen here.
Sadly my energy needs to be applied to other more demanding projects right now and my 10-ER will have to sit in its corner covered with dust. I can't even get to it to take a picture of it. My plan is for it to become my primary lathe due to it being so heavy. It's on wheels like everything else in my shop except the main bench. I really do need to take about 15 minutes to dig it out and move it to a better spot where I can use it. It does run well. Maybe if I do that I will come up with a few simple turning projects for it. I would like it near my outside door which is my only source of natural light (basement shop). I keep eyeing a section of wall just to the left of the door where the wall is exposed on the outside and I could add a small window for light and a place to look out occasionally.
I live in hope. :)

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

robinson46176 wrote:Without a doubt this thread has some of the most absolutely beautiful 10 series Shopsmiths I have ever seen. :eek: :)
Kind of inspires me to want to go downstairs and start on my humble 10-ER. It's a decent machine but a million miles away from those seen here.
Sadly my energy needs to be applied to other more demanding projects right now and my 10-ER will have to sit in its corner covered with dust. I can't even get to it to take a picture of it. My plan is for it to become my primary lathe due to it being so heavy. It's on wheels like everything else in my shop except the main bench. I really do need to take about 15 minutes to dig it out and move it to a better spot where I can use it. It does run well. Maybe if I do that I will come up with a few simple turning projects for it. I would like it near my outside door which is my only source of natural light (basement shop). I keep eyeing a section of wall just to the left of the door where the wall is exposed on the outside and I could add a small window for light and a place to look out occasionally.

A tiny bit of progress...
I went downstairs and moved some "stuff" from in front of the 10-ER and rolled it out of its resting place. It's still plenty dusty but I blew it off while using a brush on it and it looks nearly civilized. :rolleyes:
I won't start a restore on it but I will scrub it down some and do the lube and wax bit. The belt is pretty stiff so I'll just pick up a new one and hang the old one on a hook "just in case".

See... Inspiration. :)
My 1951 Shopsmith 10-ER.jpg
My 1951 Shopsmith 10-ER.jpg (74.73 KiB) Viewed 12442 times
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

robinson46176 wrote:
robinson46176 wrote:Without a doubt this thread has some of the most absolutely beautiful 10 series Shopsmiths I have ever seen. :eek: :)

A tiny bit of progress...
I went downstairs and moved some "stuff" from in front of the 10-ER and rolled it out of its resting place. It's still plenty dusty but I blew it off while using a brush on it and it looks nearly civilized. :rolleyes:
I won't start a restore on it but I will scrub it down some and do the lube and wax bit. The belt is pretty stiff so I'll just pick up a new one and hang the old one on a hook "just in case".

See... Inspiration. :)

My 1951 Shopsmith 10-ER.jpg
That is a nice looking Model 10! :D
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

I was looking at my 10-ER this morning and its giblets and realized that the lathe tool rest was missing. An older style tool rest was laying on the bench shelf (the one with the big threads) but not the 10-ER rest. I must have put the original in a box or bucket back when I first moved the woodshop to the basement. It may take me until Thanksgiving to find it. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
The danged shop elves may have moved it one night.
A quick look around came up empty, but then again I have been known to misplace a tractor or a pickup truck so this may get a little complicated. I may be ahead to just buy another one...
One of the first pictures I posted of this basement shop space was when I was building a 4' high wall with clear vinyl above it to split off space. I later ended up taking most of it out and I am going to remove the last 5' section maybe tonight.
If anybody runs across my 10-ER lathe tool rest let me know. :rolleyes: :)

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

robinson46176 wrote:I was looking at my 10-ER this morning and its giblets and realized that the lathe tool rest was missing. An older style tool rest was laying on the bench shelf (the one with the big threads) but not the 10-ER rest. I must have put the original in a box or bucket back when I first moved the woodshop to the basement. It may take me until Thanksgiving to find it. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
The danged shop elves may have moved it one night.
A quick look around came up empty, but then again I have been known to misplace a tractor or a pickup truck so this may get a little complicated. I may be ahead to just buy another one...
One of the first pictures I posted of this basement shop space was when I was building a 4' high wall with clear vinyl above it to split off space. I later ended up taking most of it out and I am going to remove the last 5' section maybe tonight.
If anybody runs across my 10-ER lathe tool rest let me know. :rolleyes: :)

:D :D :D
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

farmer,

Glad you were able to get the 10ER out of the corner and be ready for use again. I noticed something interesting in the picture. The bench boards have been remounted under the top of the metal bench ends instead of being over top of them. Was this done for a specific reason?

Sorry I have not seen that wandering Lathe Tool Rest.

John,

Looking at your 10ER makes me want to go get a blasting cabinet. I've tried Harbor Freight's Blasting Gun and Pressurized Abrasive Blaster using fine crushed walnut shells but have to fight with them to much because they clog up frequently. But at this point I have almost all the parts cleaned for my current restoration and one more left to do after that. I may stop restoring Model 10's at least for a while. Time to work on some other projects like other Shopsmith tools and making sawdust.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

chapmanruss wrote:farmer,
I noticed something interesting in the picture. The bench boards have been remounted under the top of the metal bench ends instead of being over top of them. Was this done for a specific reason?

The guy I got it from was not very tall and I assume that was the most simple way to make it lower. I have no idea if he was the original owner. I'm not all that tall (5' 10") but I will move it on top and may well add about a 1.5" block under each end between the metal ends and the top. I'll settle on a height as I go. As my semi-dedicated lathe I don't want to be working leaning over, well, my back doesn't want to be leaning over.
I also want to add a shelf or maybe even a drawer or two under the top. I just need to keep room available to operate the casters.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson