odd occurrence

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: odd occurrence

Post by JPG »

The wiring between the gfci and a receptacle fed by it MAY have sufficient inductance to prevent the circuit imbalance currents to be above the threshold of the gfci.

Realize a gfci does not sense currents to ground directly, butrather by detecting a current difference between the two line supply conductors.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

In my case all outlets down stream of the GFCI outlet are protected on each circuit. They are wired in series so if the GFCI is tripped at any outlet on a circuit all outlets on that circuit are off.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

In my case all outlets down stream of the GFCI outlet are protected on each circuit. They are wired in series so if the GFCI is tripped at any outlet on a circuit all outlets on that circuit are off.

----------------------

That's how I had the kitchen at the rental wired in. instead of removing the yellow tape and running the current for the next plug through the plug before it,,, using pig tails / jumpers from the line current to the gfci will allow them to operate separately in a parallel circuit.if you run the current through the first plug the others do not need to be gfci and will still be protected .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
Matanuska
Gold Member

Post by Matanuska »

wa2crk wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:11 pm Had an odd occurrence with the Power Pro yesterday. I sanded a few pen blanks square and did a few other jobs and when I tried to use my bench grinder it would not start. Checked the drill press, no start. Then I saw the red light on the GFCI outlet was on. I tried to reset it and it would not reset. I unplugged the PP which was turned off at the headstock switch, and the breaker was able to be reset. Plugged the PP back in with the main switch off and the breaker tripped. Unplugged the machine and ohmed out the plug and did not see reading that would cause the breaker to trip. I plugged the PP into another circuit that was also GFCI protected and the machine worked OK. Then plugged it back into the original plug and tripped the breaker. I left the machine deciding to inspect the wiring later. Later came, and I plugged the machine back into the original outlet and all things were normal. Have not checked further because I had to use the machine, but I plan to check the wiring later. I may change the GFCI outlet just in case it has gotten flakey.
Bill V
Here's a heads-up regarding PowerPro GFCI trips while plugging in the machine. My PowerPro started doing this occasionally and I ignored it because others had reported similar issues. Then while plugging in the machine a few days later I heard a loud electrical pop from within the headstock which threw a breaker. I took the headstock apart and found that the black and white conductor wires at the end of power cord that plug into the switch had gotten trapped & flattened where they wrap around the spindle lock assembly and were shorting out. I cut off the damage portions, installed new connectors, and re-routed the wires taking care to stay well away from the pinch point. Problem solved. Since the fix I've had zero GFCI trips when plugging in the machine so in this case it looks like the GFCI was actually doing what it was supposed to do as the intermittent pinch on the wires worsened with time.
1985 Mark V upgraded to 520 PowerPro. Shopsmith cast iron table bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, and 60's vintage 610 jigsaw SPT's. Makita 2040 15" planer, JessEm Mast-R-Lift II router table.