Snapped Band Saw Tire

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: Snapped Band Saw Tire

Post by Hobbyman2 »

the set of SS tires they sent me came with rubber cement ,I have had it a year or so ,It will probably be bad by the time it gets used , I used windshield rubber cement on the tires that are on there and have had good luck so far , we don't use it a lot but the girls do use it.
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
P89DC
Gold Member

Post by P89DC »

I will be surprised if the blue tyres fail. Over on old woodworking machines (owwm.org) they're used by many rebuilders and are thought of as a good option. That's why I went with them. Shopsmith should sell the blue ones instead of the orange. I almost bought a set of the orange disasters last summer but SS was out, lucky me!
1986 510, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, scroll saw, jigsaw and lots of accessories. Shopsmith woodworking bench too!
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

algale wrote:I feel your pain. A pair of Shopsmith urethane tires came off my band saw this weekend and got chewed up. I order "blue max" tires from ebay. Some folks on this forum reported good results with them.

As for the black rubber tires Shopsmith sells, I think they sell rubber cement to hold them on and it is recommended to use it.
I just had the same thing happen on my bandsaw this morning. I had used the original rubber tires for years with no issue. They were looking pretty dry rotted so I replaced them with the Shopsmith orange urethane tires. I followed the instructions for putting them on. I didn't do much with the bandsaw for a couple of months. Went to use it this morning. It cut fine for a couple of minutes, but when I went to shut it off, it seems like the deceleration caused the tires to shred between the wheel and the blade. At least that is my guess. Going to order the bluemax ones now. I don't recommend using the orange urethane ones, not unless you glue them in place.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Just to follow on with a previous discussion:

If you hoover over the words "woodworking bench"in the above "signature" for P89DC (if they are underlined and printed in blue) does it take you to a website other than this one.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

dusty wrote:Just to follow on with a previous discussion:

If you hoover over the words "woodworking bench"in the above "signature" for P89DC (if they are underlined and printed in blue) does it take you to a website other than this one.
No, I don't see this. I just have my mouse cursor over it and I see nothing but the text that is there for woodworking bench.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Dusty, I do not see that link either. So it may be that my browser (Firefox) is blocking it and yours isn't. Or there may be something malicious on your computer that is generating those links.

Perhaps the group here can figure out what is going on and how to stop it.

What operating system and browser are you using.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

rpd wrote:

Dusty, I do not see that link either. So it may be that my browser (Firefox) is blocking it and yours isn't. Or there may be something malicious on your computer that is generating those links.

I am running Windows 10 Pro with Firefox (latest update).

Of particular note: If I create a post not by copy and paste and I use exactly the same character strings as those in the offending posts, I do not witness the hypertext. This suggests to me that the hypertext is being brought to me rather than being created here. I future conclude this because I do not experience this behavior on any of the other forums that I visit. There are three that I go to almost daily. If this was the result of a virus on my computer I would expect to have the same experiences there.

The links to which I am redirected are several and do not always have the appearance of being either Shopsmith or wood working related. One link that is quite common is to a PDF conversion developer (totally not wood related).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Dusty

If you place your cursor over the hypertext, look at the left hand bottom corner of your screen.. It should read the URL as to where's it's going to.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

RFGuy wrote:

No, I don't see this. I just have my mouse cursor over it and I see nothing but the text that is there for woodworking bench.
Same here with the latest Firefox. No link just the text.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
P89DC
Gold Member

Post by P89DC »

There is a major Modzilla hacking opening that was just discovered in the last few days. Mozilla users are supposed to upload the security update immediately. Maybe that's why you're seeing the link?
dusty wrote:
rpd wrote:

I am running Windows 10 Pro with Firefox (latest update).

Of particular note: If I create a post not by copy and paste and I use exactly the same character strings as those in the offending posts, I do not witness the hypertext. This suggests to me that the hypertext is being brought to me rather than being created here. I future conclude this because I do not experience this behavior on any of the other forums that I visit. There are three that I go to almost daily. If this was the result of a virus on my computer I would expect to have the same experiences there.

The links to which I am redirected are several and do not always have the appearance of being either Shopsmith or wood working related. One link that is quite common is to a PDF conversion developer (totally not wood related).
1986 510, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, scroll saw, jigsaw and lots of accessories. Shopsmith woodworking bench too!