Anyone got a decent worm gear and quadrant for sale?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

johnkgerken
Gold Member

Anyone got a decent worm gear and quadrant for sale?

Post by johnkgerken »

Hi all,

I've been investigating issues with my speed control and came to discover that my worm gear is bent at the point where the gear meets the shaft. I've wasted an afternoon trying to come up with a way to straighten it without messing up the threads, but have been totally unsuccessful so far. I also noticed that the quadrant teeth are pretty badly worn in spots, no doubt due to the bent worm gear.

So before ordering new ones from Shopsmith, I thought I'd ask if anyone had a used set in good condition that they'd be willing to sell. My machine is an April 1955 Greenie, if it matters at all. The legs on the control bracket seem to be fine as are the remainder of the parts. So I think those are the only other two parts I need -- at least at the moment. <sigh/>

Thanks for considering it,
John
rpd
Platinum Member

Re: Anyone got a decent worm gear and quadrant for sale?

Post by rpd »

johnkgerken wrote:Hi all,

I've been investigating issues with my speed control and came to discover that my worm gear is bent at the point where the gear meets the shaft. I've wasted an afternoon trying to come up with a way to straighten it without messing up the threads, but have been totally unsuccessful so far. I also noticed that the quadrant teeth are pretty badly worn in spots, no doubt due to the bent worm gear.

So before ordering new ones from Shopsmith, I thought I'd ask if anyone had a used set in good condition that they'd be willing to sell. My machine is an April 1955 Greenie, if it matters at all. The legs on the control bracket seem to be fine as are the remainder of the parts. So I think those are the only other two parts I need -- at least at the moment. <sigh/>

Thanks for considering it,
John
Sales on this forum are prohibited by our host. :)

Try on the Facebook Shopsmith Sales Group, someone there will likely be able to help you. :)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/298235127282459/
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
johnkgerken
Gold Member

Post by johnkgerken »

Woh! I'm very sorry. Please accept my apology!
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

For those parts I recommend ordering new ones. They are probably the first parts that will wear out in your Shopsmith power unit. Used ones can be expected to be worn too. A new pair will last you for decades again.
I replaced my old worn out quadrant and worm gear a couple of years ago and don't regret ordering a new pair from Shopsmith. They work and work right.