Need help on how get started!!!!

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Vetwoodrestore
Silver Member

Re: Need help on how get started!!!!

Post by Vetwoodrestore »

I was thinking the of doing same thing saves $68

What about the ties for the wheels what are best ones to get? Any tricks aside from placeing them in warm water then install from what I know.
P89DC
Gold Member

Post by P89DC »

I bought the blue tyres from bandsawtirewerehouse on ebay. I followed their instructions and have no issues. They are working very well for the last six months.

Yes to using your old cover and adding a viewing port, I've done it to two now. Don't forget the dust port upgrade too.

There a nylon bolt by the guide under the cover too, I added it to both my bs.

I switched my bearing out too and dumped the stepped bolts for the guides and went with 7mm bolts instead.
1986 510, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, scroll saw, jigsaw and lots of accessories. Shopsmith woodworking bench too!
Vetwoodrestore
Silver Member

Post by Vetwoodrestore »

Can I see what nylon bolt you are referring to?

I like to do same changed you did you your bs, where will I find these bolts an such that you changed out
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

This is a rather large thread I did on the old cast iron top bandsaw I own. Some of the information relates to shopsmith bandsaws of any age.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/main ... t8361.html

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
P89DC
Gold Member

Post by P89DC »

Ed's thread has all the info but it's diluted by our tendency to wander. I used the info from Ed's thread and a few others. Then I overhauled/resto'ed two bandsaws. Here's my single post, very simple:
https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/main ... 23070.html
1986 510, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, scroll saw, jigsaw and lots of accessories. Shopsmith woodworking bench too!
Vetwoodrestore
Silver Member

Post by Vetwoodrestore »

thank you! i will review

next is to see if i have to trash my jigsaw due to no access to parts anymore
Vetwoodrestore
Silver Member

Post by Vetwoodrestore »

great more info love it.

what and or how do you fix jigsaw due to parts no longer available ???
P89DC
Gold Member

Post by P89DC »

What's broke? If the connecting rod is broke, fabricate a new one. Make a gasket for the crank case cover. Fabricate a table insert. Soak the air pump seals and replace the hose. Scavage a spring for the upper housing. What else is there?
Vetwoodrestore
Silver Member

Post by Vetwoodrestore »

What ever the plastic connecting thing was inside it. I cant even tell what it was all I see is parts of plastic. Gasket seems good I will put oil on it an see how it does. So in that housing its ment to be filled with oil? I have read few using a different oil then what is recommended?

Spring seems fine, will the scroll saw upgrade they sell for the blade change an block upgrade work?

On top of the spring there is a felt pad inside is there anything I should do or not do with that?
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Vetwoodrestore wrote:What ever the plastic connecting thing was inside it. I cant even tell what it was all I see is parts of plastic. Gasket seems good I will put oil on it an see how it does. So in that housing its meant to be filled with oil? I have read few using a different oil then what is recommended?

Spring seems fine, will the scroll saw upgrade they sell for the blade change an block upgrade work?

On top of the spring there is a felt pad inside is there anything I should do or not do with that?
The plastic think is called a yoke. You can make a replacement that is better/stronger than the original quite easily. This short video will show you how.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb17icIjzeA[/youtube].

I don't think the scrollsaw part would work.

You can download the manual for the jigsaw from this link. http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=10571
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,