Is this Normal for the 6" Belt Sander?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mountainbreeze
Platinum Member

Is this Normal for the 6" Belt Sander?

Post by mountainbreeze »

I purchased a used 6" belt sander a while back and finally got around to getting it ready for use. I followed all of the setup instructions in the manual and it seems to run well. I have two questions about it though...

1. When locked (and tightened) in the upright position, it has quite a bit of movement I can't seem to eliminate. Is this normal? See this video:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1sjfkfs8yo3x7 ... t.mp4?dl=0

2. When turning off the powerhead, it comes to a stop fairly quickly, much more so than other SPTs. The two drums that the belt rides on move freely with no belt installed. Is that also typical?

Thanks,
Bill
garys
Platinum Member

Re: Is this Normal for the 6" Belt Sander?

Post by garys »

Mine also has some of that fore and aft movement, but it doesn't affect the usability of the unit. I don't know if that is normal or not.

The belt sander spins down fast due to the friction of the belt and rollers. That is why you always run it on low speeds. Low is better for the belts and also less load for the Shopsmith motor.
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

Mine does it too.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

mountainbreeze wrote:I purchased a used 6" belt sander a while back and finally got around to getting it ready for use. I followed all of the setup instructions in the manual and it seems to run well. I have two questions about it though...

1. When locked (and tightened) in the upright position, it has quite a bit of movement I can't seem to eliminate. Is this normal? See this video:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1sjfkfs8yo3x7 ... t.mp4?dl=0

2. When turning off the powerhead, it comes to a stop fairly quickly, much more so than other SPTs. The two drums that the belt rides on move freely with no belt installed. Is that also typical?

Thanks,
Bill
There is an additional bolt (#78 in the exploded diagram) that can be used to hold it firmly in position. :)
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The belt sander doesn't have to do that.

There are two holes shown here that can be used to fix this.
bs1m.jpg
bs1m.jpg (122.95 KiB) Viewed 9214 times
One is used when vertical to some tilt, the other is for the other position. You need to add a 3/8" bolt and a couple of washers and a wing nut or other way to tighten it.
bs2.jpg
bs2.jpg (145.98 KiB) Viewed 9214 times
It goes like this:
bs3.jpg
bs3.jpg (119.11 KiB) Viewed 9214 times
Yes it does slow down quickly.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
mountainbreeze
Platinum Member

Post by mountainbreeze »

Thanks all y'all. I think adding the bolt is a good idea that also addresses the issue of shaft alignment. With the amount of movement i was experiencing there was quite a bit of variation in the shaft alignment.
P89DC
Gold Member

Post by P89DC »

Mine came from the factory with both bolts.
1986 510, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, scroll saw, jigsaw and lots of accessories. Shopsmith woodworking bench too!
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Likewise, my 1983 model came from the factory with 2 bolts installed. That eliminates side to side wobble, but I still have a bit of fore and aft movement unless I overtighten the two bolts, and that seems like the wrong thing to do.