Urethane Band Saw Tires

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

berry
Platinum Member

Urethane Band Saw Tires

Post by berry »

I'm putting those orange urethane tires on and wondered if those of you who've done this had any tips. Or can direct me to a thread that's covered this maintenance procedure. Thanks so much taking time, I know everyone is busy right now.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Urethane Band Saw Tires

Post by RFGuy »

berry wrote:I'm putting those orange urethane tires on and wondered if those of you who've done this had any tips. Or can direct me to a thread that's covered this maintenance procedure. Thanks so much taking time, I know everyone is busy right now.
It's been a while since I did mine, but you want to bake them in an oven first and then stretch them on trying not to overstretch any one spot. The thread below discusses the procedure.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewtopic.php?t=52
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

RFGuy wrote:
berry wrote:I'm putting those orange urethane tires on and wondered if those of you who've done this had any tips. Or can direct me to a thread that's covered this maintenance procedure. Thanks so much taking time, I know everyone is busy right now.
It's been a while since I did mine, but you want to bake them in an oven first and then stretch them on trying not to overstretch any one spot. The thread below discusses the procedure.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewtopic.php?t=52
I recently replaced my orange Shopsmith urethane tires with another brand (BlueMax) and for their tires they recommended soaking in boiling water. Those tires also came with an install "tool" -- a short piece of dowel with a big nail driven into the end. The nail was running through a length of plastic tubing -- like a section of a big drinking straw. Anyhow, this tool was inserted between the new tire and the wheel and run around the diameter of the wheel to help evenly stretch the tire and could also be used as a lever.

Here's a YouTube video someone else did putting BlueMax on another brand bandsaw. I assume you can follow this procedure with the Shopsmith tires on the Shopsmith band saw, too.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buBoatnYs8g[/youtube]
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

P89DC
Gold Member

Post by P89DC »

The instructions are clear, use hot water from the tap. Do not bake at 250*, do not boil at 211*, do not microwave them, use hot water from the tap.
1986 510, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, scroll saw, jigsaw and lots of accessories. Shopsmith woodworking bench too!