Upper and lower output drive shafts slightly different sizes

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Upper and lower output drive shafts slightly different sizes

Post by JPG »

almackovjak wrote:Thank you JPG, I am considering how to remove material from shaft or bore of hub. Steel wool, scotchbrite, emery cloth, ream an extra hub to fit, are good ideas but how would it be done with any degree of accuracy? It seems that I would need to take the .632" shaft down to approximately .626" which is not an insignificant amount of steel. Thanks again for your input!
It can be done but requires patience. Emery cloth(strips) would be my choice. Care needs to be exercised so as to make the reduction distributed equally along the shaft axis. Using flat strips can help with that. Measure often and everywhere so as to allow compensating pressure.

I do not think reaming a hub is addressing the actual problem.

I would shoot for 0.624.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
P89DC
Gold Member

Post by P89DC »

Is the end of the shaft peened from previous owner abuse? I've had that issue twice on rebuilds. I ran the headstock and used Emery cloth on a flat file to take the burr off and all is well.
1986 510, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, scroll saw, jigsaw and lots of accessories. Shopsmith woodworking bench too!
almackovjak
Bronze Member

Post by almackovjak »

Thanks folks. I will speak with Shopsmith tomorrow and try to figure out a solution. I believe I need to verify the sizes of the bore on the upper and lower power coupler hubs (particularly the drive hubs having four splines) and maybe purchase a new set. You have all been very helpful, thank you.
almackovjak
Bronze Member

Post by almackovjak »

Thanks for this information. The Shopsmith site does not list the bore size on these output hubs. I called them today and they promised to get back to me. I have seen the closed output hubs, I believe designated for the lower shaft, but I have heard of those being one-half inch bore size. If, like you mentioned, the upper and lower hubs have around 5/8" bores, then I guess the next step is to try another 5/8" lower hub. Why would Shopsmith have a hard time with the question "what is the bore size of the upper and lower output hubs?"
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

almackovjak wrote:Thanks for this information. The Shopsmith site does not list the bore size on these output hubs. I called them today and they promised to get back to me. I have seen the closed output hubs, I believe designated for the lower shaft, but I have heard of those being one-half inch bore size. If, like you mentioned, the upper and lower hubs have around 5/8" bores, then I guess the next step is to try another 5/8" lower hub. Why would Shopsmith have a hard time with the question "what is the bore size of the upper and lower output hubs?"
I would suspect the actual bore size is a bit larger than 5/8, to allow for a slip fit..
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

[quote="almackovjak" . . . Why would Shopsmith have a hard time with the question "what is the bore size of the upper and lower output hubs?"[/quote]

Because CS are not part of the engineering department, are fairly new employees, are likely still wet behind the ears, and may have been instructed to not answer that kind of question(for that kind of information, engineering must get involved - for a price).

Yes it is male bovine merde.

Regardless the hubs fit onto a 5/8" shaft.(at least that is what it is supposed to be).

BTW The hub bore size is not the right question. Rather what is the shaft od?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange