New Owner of a Mark V 510 with some questions

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

SaShepherd
Bronze Member

New Owner of a Mark V 510 with some questions

Post by SaShepherd »

I recently purchased a mark V 510 (1993) and I have a couple of questions.

It belonged to the elderly father of the fellow I bought it from and he didn't know too much about it. Unfortunately the power coupling is missing. I believe I have the splined metal hubs. It is just the white tube part I don't have. I live in Canada. Can anyone suggest the best way to get this part? SS doesn't ship to Canada. All in One Wood Tools appears to be a dealer for SS in Ontario. Has anyone done business with this company?

Secondly, the unit came with the bandsaw and jointer but the jointer is missing the mounting tubes, but I do have mounting tubes for the bandsaw. Are these interchangeable?

I am sure I will have many more questions, I have never owned a SS before and am still in the process of cleaning it and performing maintenance. Aside from some gummed up sawdust and a bit of grime everything appears to be in fairly good condition. Hopefully I won't run into too many surprises!
Steele510
Gold Member

Re: New Owner of a Mark V 510 with some questions

Post by Steele510 »

All-in-one is fantastic, he can get what you need for sure. I'm close enough to visit there personally but I am sure covering coast-to-coast shipments is easy for him. He has quite a lot of SS inventory on hand. I bought a coupler from him a few weeks ago. Give them a call.

The eccentric tubes should be interchangeable but not identical as they are taller and may not allow the hubs to line up properly when in operation. You'll want another set so that you can store the unused item in a safe manner.

p/n 5020809 Jointer Eccentric Stud (Jointer Exploded Parts Diagram)
p/n 5137779 Eccentric Post for Bandsaw (Band saw Exploded Parts Diagram)

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Does coast to coast include across the border???
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Steele510
Gold Member

Post by Steele510 »

You mean over the wall.. ? :rolleyes:

I do not have that answer. Is SS won't ship into Canada, they may have a relationship/agreement here that prevents them from shipping into the USA. I cannot be sure, best to call them.
SaShepherd
Bronze Member

Post by SaShepherd »

Thanks for the info. I will contact All in One.

Another question: it also came with the SS router table, just the actual tabletop and fence, no over arm parts, table base or anything else. I have seen pictures of this table attached to the SS using one of the telescoping legs etc. but I can't find any parts diagram to figure out what other parts might be needed.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

SS has sold several variations of Router Tables over the years, including stand-alone and mounted models in under-table, OAR, and pin router types. I've had a similar experience where I got one with a used SS, but it turned out to be originally free standing and under-table only, and though it looks similar to one version of mounted table it is not the same. I recommend you take the following steps: (1) See how flat it is compared to your expectations. (Mine was not flat, so I stopped at that point though I may later look into a mounting method that flattens it.) (2) Post pictures of the front and back. (See the picture posting thread near the top under Community, posting pictures is not completely intuitive.) Someone on this forum likely will have the same product and can identify it and provide assistance. If it is the type that you are thinking, it originally used an Extension Table Base as the primary mount with the telescoping support leg.

Suggestion: If you think you'd like to try this mount I would first securely clamp the router table between an extension table and main table in approximately the same position to test it out. Also look under Tool Reviews for a review of the one you have.
There are many of great SS-mounted router table ideas on this site, and personal preference seems to be a big part of that.

-David
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

As David mentioned there are a few versions of the Shopsmith router table. Can you post a picture of yours? Does it look like this one that mounts on the end of the Mark V? This is the version of Shopsmith router table that I have. I don't remember if it came with a manual. If it did, it was only an assembly manual for putting it together. It is just a table, dust shroud and fence, so pretty simple design.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... rtable.htm
routertable.jpg
routertable.jpg (143.12 KiB) Viewed 12810 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

While looking for something else, I found a couple of manuals that may be of use. The first one is the parts list for the table that SS most recently carried, same one RFGuy posted a pic of:
Mark V Router Table kit parts list.pdf
End Mount Router Table
(361.46 KiB) Downloaded 1152 times
Next is a manual for one that mounts to the 505/510 rail system, can be mounted off the end with telescoping legs or elsewhere, for example between main and extension tables:
845532 510.pdf
505/510 Router Table
(264.1 KiB) Downloaded 1083 times
There is (was) a 520 / M7 version of that second one as well. And I believe I saw one that mounted onto a 510/520/M7 Main table via SS T-Nuts, and would require something other than a router plate (I think I saw this using the SS-mounted overarm router mount, and it may be for OAR only.)

Credits: These documents, and the 520 version, were sent to me by SS CS via email.

RFGuy - What is the material of the gray router table? My table is white, MDF, and appears to be both larger and thicker.

Slightly off topic comment: I wish that Shopsmith offered more of these options that have faded away, especially any that are unique to the M5/MV/M7 family. I watch ebay and CL for resales but anything with OAR and/or pin router are very uncommon.

- David
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

David,

Yeah, my router table looks pretty much exactly like the one in the Shopsmith photo that I posted. So it has grey laminate on top and is an MDF core underneath. I share your dismay with Shopsmith for discontinuing certain products. I wish I had gotten the Pro router table model that Shopsmith sold that could mount in the 520 rails, but I have this earlier Shopsmith router table model. However, I just got a Jessem MAST-R-LIFT™ II at a really good discount and I can't wait to get it mounted in a cabinet in my shop to put it to work soon. So, my Shopsmith one is going to be retired...
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
WileyCoyote
Gold Member

Post by WileyCoyote »

I am not sure how bad shipping will be but I have everything in the picture with the exception of the table and the fence knobs.