Nuts! I busted it! Are new ones available?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

johnkgerken
Gold Member

Nuts! I busted it! Are new ones available?

Post by johnkgerken »

Hi all,

This evening I was reassembling the caster assembly on one of the legs of my '55 Greenie, and while hammering the pin back into the rocker wheel to hold it onto the rod, the thing split on the first hit of the pin. I had no idea that it was that brittle.

Anyway, I looked in my owner's manual and there appears to only be a part number for the entire assembly and I don't see any indication that ShopSmith sells them either, based on their parts lists. Is there any place to get a new one of these, or is the only source eBay?
IMG_4793.small.jpg
IMG_4793.small.jpg (810.31 KiB) Viewed 9669 times
Thanks,
John
rjent
Platinum Member

Re: Nuts! I busted it! Are new ones available?

Post by rjent »

I don't think you will get that from the mothership. However, full assemblies are available on ebay pretty reasonable. You might try there.

JMHO
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Shopsmith does sell some of the retractable caster parts but apparently not this one. The current part number is 5015669 (Cam) but shows item not found. The cam is the same going back to even the retractable casters for the Model 10's. You might contact Shopsmith customer service to see if they can help. Another option would be to directly contact any online sellers who are advertising retractable caster parts as they may have one but not have it listed.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
johnkgerken
Gold Member

Post by johnkgerken »

Thanks, guys. <sigh/> It's discouraging. I think I'm making progress and then something stupid like this happens. I just can't believe that it split like that.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

johnkgerken wrote:Thanks, guys. <sigh/> It's discouraging. I think I'm making progress and then something stupid like this happens. I just can't believe that it split like that.
Could you repair the broken piece, Drill through and screw them together, Tap one side, recess for the machine screw head and clearance hole on the other, some CA glue or jb weld on the broken surfaces.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

One thing to know going forward. Don't know if this is true for MK5 casters but it is true for Model 10 casters. At least the ones I have refurbished. The roll pin holes were not apparently drilled with an accurate fixture or any fixture at all. Every hole is slightly different and the cams have to go back on the same rod on the same end in the same orientation when they were removed. Otherwise the holes in the cam and rod will not line up all the way through.

Don't ask me how I know. :)
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
cham-ed
Gold Member

Post by cham-ed »

jsburger wrote:One thing to know going forward. Don't know if this is true for MK5 casters but it is true for Model 10 casters. At least the ones I have refurbished. The roll pin holes were not apparently drilled with an accurate fixture or any fixture at all. Every hole is slightly different and the cams have to go back on the same rod on the same end in the same orientation when they were removed. Otherwise the holes in the cam and rod will not line up all the way through.

I'm sure of that very thing about lining up. I'll admit it I took mine apart and had a hell of a time getting it back together.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

cham-ed wrote:
jsburger wrote:One thing to know going forward. Don't know if this is true for MK5 casters but it is true for Model 10 casters. At least the ones I have refurbished. The roll pin holes were not apparently drilled with an accurate fixture or any fixture at all. Every hole is slightly different and the cams have to go back on the same rod on the same end in the same orientation when they were removed. Otherwise the holes in the cam and rod will not line up all the way through.

I'm sure of that very thing about lining up. I'll admit it I took mine apart and had a hell of a time getting it back together.
Thank you for confirming my experience. That may be why the OP broke his cam casting.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

True fer sure. Also the connecting rod/casting holes are 'uniquely drilled' as well.

The model 10 cams were NOT drilled all the way through.

Then there are the later ones(MVII also) that have set screws and no pins.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
johnkgerken
Gold Member

Post by johnkgerken »

JPG wrote:True fer sure. Also the connecting rod/casting holes are 'uniquely drilled' as well.
Wow. OK, so all of this explains much of the difficulty I had during reassembly. I purposely only disassembled one set of casters thinking that would ensure that I was able to get everything put back together correctly. But had great difficulty getting the cam holes to line up before trying to put the roll pins in, and frankly, I'm still not sure that I got them oriented exactly right.

So this raises an interesting question: Suppose I'm able to purchase another set of cams. Should I redrill the hole in the connecting rod to ensure that everything lines up when the pin goes in? I'm not even sure you can DO that without breaking the connecting rod. What do you guys do?

Thanks,
John