Jointer bearing stuck inside block

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

PhilSC
Gold Member

Jointer bearing stuck inside block

Post by PhilSC »

Hi, guys! I'm restoring a rusty old magna jointer, and I've been able to get everything apart for cleaning, except for one of the bearings that I'm going to replace. The bearing on the short end of the shaft is stuck inside the aluminum pillow block. There is no hole in the back of the block. I just looks like a friction fit, but the bearing is in there really tight. Any suggestions how I can get this out without damaging the pillow block? Thanks in advance!
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Jointer bearing stuck inside block

Post by JPG »

Something similar to a pilot bearing puller. Pulls bearings out of blind bores.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

There is trick for blind bearing removal in this video. If you have delicate ears, mute the sound. ;)

[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w62c4NQDwP0[/youtube]
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
PhilSC
Gold Member

Post by PhilSC »

Thanks for the ideas, guys! Love the Video of the grease method. I sat down with some Bud Light thinking juice and “scienced the f out of this.”
The problem was disassembling three parts- the shaft(steel), the bearing(also steel) and the pillow block (aluminum.) If I could get the pillow block off, I could use a regular gear puller to get the bearing off of the shaft. Aluminum expands more than steel, so I took a heat gun to it. A little persuasion and I got it off, then pulled the bearing. Ain’t science great?