Craigslist find = New project 10ER

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

joebob80
Gold Member

Re: Craigslist find = New project 10ER

Post by joebob80 »

Question 3 - Oiling, greasing, and waxing.....There is a lot of information about this topic online, but it's inconsistent. Could use some input on what others are using on the following parts:

3-1: Way tubes and contacting surfaces (assuming this includes all metal to metal contact surfaces)- light oil or paste wax?
3-2: Quill - nothing, medium-weight machine oil, lithium grease, or paste wax?
3-3: Spindle spline - nothing or light oil?
3-4: Feed pinion shaft -nothing or light oil?
3-5: Lock levers - nothing or light oil?
3-6: Speed changer pulley shaft - light oil or turbine oil?
3-7: Speed changer pulley assembly - lithium grease?
3-8: Motor - nothing?
3-9: Painted surfaces like the headstock - if I'm keeping the original paint....wax?
3-10: Any other locations that need oil, grease, or wax?

I still have ways to go before I get to oiling things, but it would be nice to know what I will need to buy.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

joebob80 wrote:Question 3 - Oiling, greasing, and waxing.....There is a lot of information about this topic online, but it's inconsistent. Could use some input on what others are using on the following parts:

3-1: Way tubes and contacting surfaces (assuming this includes all metal to metal contact surfaces)- light oil or paste wax?
3-2: Quill - nothing, medium-weight machine oil, lithium grease, or paste wax? or graphite
3-3: Spindle spline - nothing or light oil?assuming nylon coupler see below
3-4: Feed pinion shaft -nothing or light oil?paste wax/graphite
3-5: Lock levers - nothing or light oil?graphite applied to threads and wedge bore/od
3-6: Speed changer pulley shaft - light oil or turbine oil?yes - they are the same thing
3-7: Speed changer pulley assembly - lithium grease?light oil(#10)
3-8: Motor - nothing?yes
3-9: Painted surfaces like the headstock - if I'm keeping the original paint....wax?yes
3-10: Any other locations that need oil, grease, or wax? all set screws benefit from a smidgen of paste wax on the threads.

I still have ways to go before I get to oiling things, but it would be nice to know what I will need to buy.
One person's opinion.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:
joebob80 wrote:Question 3 - Oiling, greasing, and waxing.....There is a lot of information about this topic online, but it's inconsistent. Could use some input on what others are using on the following parts:

3-2: Quill - nothing, medium-weight machine oil, lithium grease, or paste wax? or graphite
3-3: Spindle spline - nothing or light oil?assuming nylon coupler
3-5: Lock levers - nothing or light oil?graphite applied to threads
3-6: Speed changer pulley shaft - light oil or turbine oil?yes - they are the same thing
3-9: Painted surfaces like the headstock - if I'm keeping the original paint....wax?yes
3-10: Any other locations that need oil, grease, or wax? all set screws benefit from a smidgen of paste wax on the threads.

One person's opinion.
You beat me to it. I would have said exactly the same thing except for 3-3. There is no nylon coupler in the Model 10's. It is just a metal on metal spline connection. So light oil would work fine. Just a very small amount.

As I said before the Model 10 manuals are 70 years old. Much has change with lubricants in the last 70 years.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

The manual did recommend grease on the spindle/drive sleeve splines.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
joebob80
Gold Member

Post by joebob80 »

Thanks for the input and pointing out to wax the screws/threads.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jsburger wrote:
JPG wrote:

3-3: Spindle spline - nothing or light oil?assuming nylon coupler
3-5: Lock levers - nothing or light oil?graphite applied to threads

One person's opinion.
You beat me to it. I would have said exactly the same thing except for 3-3. There is no nylon coupler in the Model 10's. It is just a metal on metal spline connection. So light oil would work fine. Just a very small amount.

As I said before the Model 10 manuals are 70 years old. Much has change with lubricants in the last 70 years.
Yes it finally dawned on me that we were referring to a '10', but I got busy with other things and did not get back to correcting that.

I think If I were looking for a substitute for grease, I would use stp or bar oil.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

When the Model 10's were being made the manual recommended using a light coat of oil. Oil attracts dust and using the Shopsmith can make a lot of it so oil on exposed surfaces is not a good idea. You would be cleaning it off and redoing it every time you finished using your Shopsmith for the day. Later, with the Mark 5, Magna recommended the use of paste wax as a protectant and lubricant. Attached is a PDF manual supplement for the Model 10's adapted from the Mark 5 manual. It and the answers JPG gave you will work well for you.
Waxing Supplement Model 10s.pdf
(226.53 KiB) Downloaded 625 times
So pretty much any of the bare metal parts will benefit and as JPG suggested set screws will benefit too. Can help avoid a stuck set screw like the one you had in the arbor.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
joebob80
Gold Member

Post by joebob80 »

Thanks for the pdf Russ.

Update -

Took a closer look at the motor and noticed the cord differently needs to be replaced (making a cracking sound when I bend it). Glad I didn't test it before checking everything.

While removing the old cord, I noticed the soldering looked a little messy. I'm not an expert, but have rebuilt enough vintage audio equipment to know the difference. Does this look factory? or think some work was done to the motor?
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (349.53 KiB) Viewed 8616 times
20200610_192228.jpg
20200610_192228.jpg (614.59 KiB) Viewed 8616 times
20200610_191737.jpg
20200610_191737.jpg (497.2 KiB) Viewed 8616 times
20200610_192434.jpg
20200610_192434.jpg (672.66 KiB) Viewed 8616 times
Last edited by joebob80 on Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:32 am, edited 4 times in total.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

joebob80 wrote:Thanks Russ. That is nice simple and complete pdf that answers all my questions about waxing and oiling the 10er.

Update -

Took a closer look at the motor and noticed the cord differently needs to be replaced (making a cracking sound when I bend the card). I'm glad I didn't test it before checking everything.

While removing the old cord, I noticed the soldering looked a little messy. I'm not an expert, but have rebuilt enough vintage audio equipment to know the difference. Does this look factory? or think some work was done to the motor?

It's not letting post pictures right now.....
The post in this link will help walk you through the process of posting pictures. :)
https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/comm ... 19246.html
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
joebob80
Gold Member

Post by joebob80 »

Thanks Ron, but I'm assuming it was a server issue. It's letting upload photos now.