Craigslist find = New project 10ER

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

joebob80
Gold Member

Re: Craigslist find = New project 10ER

Post by joebob80 »

chapmanruss wrote:joebob80,

I am glad to see your restoration coming along. Sorry I have not been on here but today is the first time I have caught up on reading these posts since returning from vacation. Ron, John and JPG seem to have the help you needed well in hand.

For the Miter, the spring can be replaced by finding one that fits. Just not to soft of a spring and could be cut to length if a longer one is found. The pin is the difficult replacement. If anyone wanted to make some I'm sure they would sell. I would buy one for the extra Miter I have that is missing it. As has been suggested Miters come up for sale often but generally complete ones. There were only two Miter versions that came with the Model 10's. Yours is the second and most common one.

The Tailstock Bolt comes up for sale once in awhile. You can use, as suggested, a regular bolt plus a washer, in the mean time. You could try contacting ebay sellers that regularly sell Shopsmith parts to see if they have one. Do get the one shown in Ron's pictures which does not block the Extension Table from being lowered all the way down.

No worries. Hopefully you had a good vacation! Others on the forum have been great responding to my never ending list of questions as you can see. As for the missing miter parts, I'm thinking of trying a spring and steel ball combo like what I found in my spare craftsman miter. It shouldn't be that hard to find them in 1/4" D.

Contact ebay seller for bolt - Done!
joebob80
Gold Member

Post by joebob80 »

Bearing Question - How much resistance should I feel when turning the spindle or motor by hand? Is there something I could compare it to? Like a miter saw?

They both take some effort to turn by hand with spindle having more resistance than the motor. I would think if there was a difference the motor should be harder to rotate considering the mass.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The effect the geater mass of the motor has is that it resists changes in motion(speed/direction). A motor should resist initial motion, but once moving the force to continue that motion is only due to frictional forces.

If you can turn either one with no feeling of resistance varying as it rotates should be good.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
joebob80
Gold Member

Post by joebob80 »

Thanks JPG!
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

When turned by hand they should turn smooth and freely. These tools are 70 years old give or take 3 years. Replacing the Quill and Drive bearings are commonly needed. In fact there has been only one Model 10 I restored that didn't need them. In that case I believe they were not the original bearings. Unless you want original Fafnir bearings you can get the correct size replacements from hogwinslow on ebay.

I do find it interesting that the motors do not need new bearings as often and I have not needed to replace that many. The A. O. Smith motors just seem to keep going and going. I even have two very early A. O. Smith motors (shown below) from My Shopsmith Model 10E's S/N 1033 and 1077 that the bearings are still good on. When you had the motor apart did you check to see how smoothly the bearings turned? That would be your best indicator.
A O Smith 1-2 HP Motor early version r.jpg
A O Smith 1-2 HP Motor early version r.jpg (160.27 KiB) Viewed 7055 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
joebob80
Gold Member

Post by joebob80 »

Miter update -

Here is what I ended up using.

1/4" diameter steel ball

<1/4" diameter spring cut to length. I went with a stiff spring so the ball sits in the hole and doesn't try and shoot out.
Attachments
20200701_155533.jpg
20200701_155533.jpg (853.02 KiB) Viewed 7030 times
20200701_155556.jpg
20200701_155556.jpg (610.15 KiB) Viewed 7030 times
20200701_155608.jpg
20200701_155608.jpg (905.49 KiB) Viewed 7030 times
20200701_155639.jpg
20200701_155639.jpg (578.72 KiB) Viewed 7030 times
20200701_155649.jpg
20200701_155649.jpg (448.48 KiB) Viewed 7030 times
joebob80
Gold Member

Post by joebob80 »

chapmanruss wrote:When turned by hand they should turn smooth and freely. These tools are 70 years old give or take 3 years. Replacing the Quill and Drive bearings are commonly needed. In fact there has been only one Model 10 I restored that didn't need them. In that case I believe they were not the original bearings. Unless you want original Fafnir bearings you can get the correct size replacements from hogwinslow on ebay.

I do find it interesting that the motors do not need new bearings as often and I have not needed to replace that many. The A. O. Smith motors just seem to keep going and going. I even have two very early A. O. Smith motors (shown below) from My Shopsmith Model 10E's S/N 1033 and 1077 that the bearings are still good on. When you had the motor apart did you check to see how smoothly the bearings turned? That would be your best indicator.

Not having the motor completely apart, I was only really able to inspect the bearing on the opposite end from the pulley. The bearing was marked 203 SFF and visually looked good. It rotated smoothly with no varying resistance. I also didn't notice any looseness/play.

Assuming these are the original bearings, I'm starting to think it may be a good idea to start looking for some replacements. =)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

joebob80 wrote:
chapmanruss wrote:When turned by hand they should turn smooth and freely. These tools are 70 years old give or take 3 years. Replacing the Quill and Drive bearings are commonly needed. In fact there has been only one Model 10 I restored that didn't need them. In that case I believe they were not the original bearings. Unless you want original Fafnir bearings you can get the correct size replacements from hogwinslow on ebay.

Not having the motor completely apart, I was only really able to inspect the bearing on the opposite end from the pulley. The bearing was marked 203 SFF and visually looked good. It rotated smoothly with no varying resistance. I also didn't notice any looseness/play.

Assuming these are the original bearings, I'm starting to think it may be a good idea to start looking for some replacements. =)
If it ain't broke, don't fix it! ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
joebob80
Gold Member

Post by joebob80 »

Got the belts today!

Installed it and played around with the speed changer. Far as I can tell, it works great even with the badly worn shaft. Everything is moving as it should without the speed changer springs fully compressing. Also tried to check the condition of the drive bearings while it was running, but it was difficult to tell with the motor running in the background.

New issue - With belts, the SS was making a hissing sound that was intermittent at first and eventually became consistent with in a few minutes. I was able to pinpoint it to the motor, near the pulley. In no time, I had the motor apart and this time I separated the shaft from the motor cover to fully inspect the bearing. The side that was not visible before was covered in thick grease that I'm assuming leaked from the bearing?? I was also able to reproduce the hissing sound by turning the bearing (really fast).

I will do some research for new bearings, bearing tools, and diy before I do anything else.
Attachments
20200702_211616.jpg
20200702_211616.jpg (378.16 KiB) Viewed 6821 times
After cleaning
After cleaning
20200702_212042.jpg (178.66 KiB) Viewed 6821 times
joebob80
Gold Member

Post by joebob80 »

Could someone confirm this is the correct replacement bearing for my motor?

Marking on old bearing - MRC 203 SFF

Replacement on Amazon - Mrc 203SFF Single Row Ball Bearing https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005YS780I/re ... aFbRR8QTE3