Dedicated Drill Press

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edma194
Platinum Member

Dedicated Drill Press

Post by edma194 »

Starting to work out how to make a dedicate drill press now while waiting for SS to re-open Monday (to check on a part for the Power Pro upgrade. I have the base and carriage from an old Greenie, and the 510 headstock that's getting replaced with the Power Pro.

I guess for now I'll shorten the bench tubes to around 2 ft. and have a storage area in the back. If needed I can add weight back there to keep it from pitching forward.

I don't know exactly where the CG of the head is in vertical mode but I think it's close to the way tubes, probably a little more on the motor side. That means it's pretty close to balanced over the way tubes, but it's possible for it to tilt forward if there's something heavy on the table. I was considering turning the tilting part of the base around so the way tubes would end up a few inches behind the legs instead of just forward of them. But that wouldn't leave anything to lock it in vertical mode. Perhaps I can put the legs on backward at that end and get the same effect.

Anyone have ideas on this subject?
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Dedicated Drill Press

Post by jsburger »

edma194 wrote:Starting to work out how to make a dedicate drill press now while waiting for SS to re-open Monday (to check on a part for the Power Pro upgrade. I have the base and carriage from an old Greenie, and the 510 headstock that's getting replaced with the Power Pro.

I guess for now I'll shorten the bench tubes to around 2 ft. and have a storage area in the back. If needed I can add weight back there to keep it from pitching forward.

I don't know exactly where the CG of the head is in vertical mode but I think it's close to the way tubes, probably a little more on the motor side. That means it's pretty close to balanced over the way tubes, but it's possible for it to tilt forward if there's something heavy on the table. I was considering turning the tilting part of the base around so the way tubes would end up a few inches behind the legs instead of just forward of them. But that wouldn't leave anything to lock it in vertical mode. Perhaps I can put the legs on backward at that end and get the same effect.

Anyone have ideas on this subject?
I made a shorty by cutting 18" from the tubes. It was OK in drill press mode but putting a little pressure on the table would lift the back end. I believe the head stock C/G is further from the tubes than you think. With 2' tubes you will have serious problems. It may fall over with the slightest pressure or no pressure at all. Remember, you also have the weight of the table and it is cantilevered way out past the way tubes.

That being said I made my dedicated drill press from the 18" tube pieces I cut off to make the shorty. I put the base together in the normal way but reversed the head stock and carriage on the way tubes so it sits over the base. It is rock solid.
Attachments
IMAG0236.jpg
IMAG0236.jpg (179.8 KiB) Viewed 11797 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I've seen that picture before. I'm trying to avoid putting base under the table that way, but it may make the most sense in the end. It's not practical if needs 200 lbs. of counter weight in the back. It's not a problem generally with a full machine in vertical mode because of the long lever arm. So I may have to start by doing what you did.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

edma194 wrote:I've seen that picture before. I'm trying to avoid putting base under the table that way, but it may make the most sense in the end. It's not practical if needs 200 lbs. of counter weight in the back. It's not a problem generally with a full machine in vertical mode because of the long lever arm. So I may have to start by doing what you did.
Why?

I guarantee if you use 20" tubes in the conventional manner you will have serious problems. You can support the table with legs to mitigate the tilting but if you need to move it on the castors it will probably fall over.

Try it. If you don't like it for some reason all you have to do is reverse the head stock and carriage and then figure out how to add 200 pounds to the back end of the base. i have been using mine for 5 or 6 year with absolutely no problems.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I'll be doing what you did starting out. I didn't want the legs down where my feet will go but looking at it more that doesn't look like a problem and it does sound like the CG is further forward than I thought if it tips that easily and you have no problem with it tipping back. That makes it pretty simple, I could get it done quickly.

So you cut the bench tubes to 18" for this?
Ed from Rhode Island

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

He used 18" tubes left over from previously making a shorty.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
benmcn
Gold Member

Post by benmcn »

I used jsburger's design concept when I made my dedicated drill press. Since I was using an old model 500 table I found 18" bench tubes were too long. After playing around with several different lengths I settled on 9 1/4 inches for my tubes. I found this length allowed me to have the back of table next to the way tubes while at the same time placing the front edge of the table over the "support tubes" (also copied from jsburger's design).
Attachments
I Started with this "train wreck"
I Started with this "train wreck"
25 dollar shopsmith.jpg (59.27 KiB) Viewed 11731 times
This is what I ended up with
This is what I ended up with
Dedicated Drill Press- Goldie.png (236.34 KiB) Viewed 11731 times
Front View- Dedicated Drill Press- Goldie.png
Front View- Dedicated Drill Press- Goldie.png (195.62 KiB) Viewed 11731 times
underside view of the Bench tubes
underside view of the Bench tubes
bench tubes cut at 9.25 inches.png (477.77 KiB) Viewed 11731 times
After assembly I had a 5 inch space for a shelf
After assembly I had a 5 inch space for a shelf
bench tube spacing- dedicated drill press- goldie.png (402.25 KiB) Viewed 11731 times
support colums- dedicated drill press- goldie.png
support colums- dedicated drill press- goldie.png (408.32 KiB) Viewed 11731 times
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Wow! Just 9.25", that sounds good. I will have only the Mark V table for this so that will keep the legs from sticking out so far. Front table support tubes might be necessary someday, I can use the Mark V end table for that initially but I may want to use that to mount a grinder.

You guys are great with all this info, and thanks to mickyd, JPG, and other for all the service and assembly instructions !
Ed from Rhode Island

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

edma194 wrote:I'll be doing what you did starting out. I didn't want the legs down where my feet will go but looking at it more that doesn't look like a problem and it does sound like the CG is further forward than I thought if it tips that easily and you have no problem with it tipping back. That makes it pretty simple, I could get it done quickly.

So you cut the bench tubes to 18" for this?
I thought about that also. As it turned out it is not a problem. With 18" tubes the leg does stick out past the front of the tabel. However, in use I stand slightly off center to the right so my right foot is outside of the leg and my left foot slides under the canter of the leg. It wasn't something I had to consciously learn. The first time I steeped up to the DP it came naturally.

I think 24" tubes would be more of a problem in that regard. I would not go mere than 18" or even a little shorter. 18" is what I had so I used them. There is absolutely no stability/tipping issue with this so shorter tube length is not a problem.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I'll look things over carefully before I cut. benmcm is using just 9 1/4" tubes and I have the smaller old style table also. I may be making too much of the 'legs getting in the way' thing, having used standing drill presses before I don't recall needing to step on the floor plate. So I'll try to figure out the maximum length that will be comfortable.

The photos you guys provide make it easy to visualize all this better, it's easy to see now that forward tipping is the only problem. I'll post some when I'm done but this machine won't look as clean and shiny as what you guys have for a while. All the base pieces and the legs need to be stripped and repainted, the caster hardware has a layer of rust on it. These legs spent some time under water.
Ed from Rhode Island