Dedicated Drill Press

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

benmcn
Gold Member

Re: Dedicated Drill Press

Post by benmcn »

With a 9 1/4" bench tube the foot print of dedicated shorty drill press is 29"x20".
I have not noticed any stability issues when using the drill press. With the support posts the table is rock solid / no flex at all.
I ended up going to a 9 1/4 inch bench tube because it set the edge of the 500 table just over the support posts. If I were doing this with a 510/520 table I would follow jsburger's recommendation of an 18" bench tube.

Ben
Attachments
29 inch x 20 inch foot print.png
29 inch x 20 inch foot print.png (344.93 KiB) Viewed 6284 times
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

In between tearing my hair out over the Power Pro upgrade (just kidding, I don't have that much hair left :) ), I cut a couple of pieces of bench tube using the junkiest makeshift metal cutting bandsaw there ever was, but it worked. I de-rusted those and the clamps and put them into the base ends, without the legs though. It looks good for now, I'll put in on the legs as soon as I find some screws, and if I can get the Power Pro all set up then I can mount the old 510 headstock on this and I'll be all set. Well, except for having to take the base and legs all apart and do a lot of cleaning and painting, but first I want it up and working.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
edma194
Platinum Member

Dedicated Drill Press - Episode II - Attack of the Roll Pins

Post by edma194 »

Attached the legs, mounted the 510 headstock, inserted the table and took a good look. It's stable, no problem there, but everything except the headstock and the tubes are dirty and/or rusty, and the paint is flaking off.

So it's disassembly time, this is the the first time I've completely disassembled a SS down to the parts. This was an old greenie, although the legs came from the 510. The greenie's legs and casters were in pretty good shape while the ones from the 510 had a lot of rust after they'd been submerged in 6 inches of water. So the greenie legs have been on the 510 for a while, and after derusting and some touch up they'll be the drill press legs.

Disassembly hasn't been too bad, but I've been wasting my frustration rage on snap rings when it should have been on roll pins. These things hate me. The ones on the carriage lock are big enough problem being on the wrong end of a double ended screw to boot, but those were rather well behaved compared to the roll pins in the casters. Each of those was something of a headache to remove, but the ones holding the cross bar to the brackets were nothing compared to the ones in the foot pedals. Those were long and deep inside the pedal casting, my pin punch wasn't long enough to push the pin all the way through and jammed in the hole so I had to break off the roll pin sticking out and use another punch to loosen the first one. I found a transfer punch just the right size to knock the rest of the pin all the way through, but at every step those pins were hard to move.

In the end those roll pins all came out, but the one in the hinge pin in the tilt end of the base wasn't gonna go. I manage to knock the end of the roll pin about 1/4" into the hinge pin, and then it wouldn't budge. There's no practical way to get to the other side of the hole in the casting so pulling the other end wasn't going to help. After a long detailed analysis and evaluation of the circumstance I made an executive decision, that roll pin ain't going anywhere. It will have to stay in there while I clean and paint the base piece.

I am definitely not going to use roll pins again when reassembling. I'll use cotter pins or something similar, nuts and bolts if I have to. Along those lines I am replacing any square head nuts with hex heads, and using stop nuts where appropriate. I'm not going through these battles again.

Have to see what to do with the table now, it's got plenty of white corrosion on it, not sure how the surface will be once it's cleaned and buffed out, but this shouldn't be a big problem for a drill press, I intend to drill it for mounting a vice, and for many operations I'll want a piece of plywood or MDF on top of the table anyway.

Back to the battle now, have to scrape down the base pieces and the carriage, put paint stripper on them, then work my way down to the bare metal so I can paint. I'll get the rust off the bottom of the legs and just do some touch-up painting on those.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I hope you marked the tie rods and end castings of the caster set.

If not Chinese puzzle time at reassembly. Either way, DO verify alignment at all 4 ends of the tie rods before tension pins or whatever you will be using are inserted.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

That was the idea but I still managed to lose track of the tie rods. I do have the brackets right so there's only 4 different ways the rods can fit. That means I should be able to work it out in 8 to 10 tries.
Ed from Rhode Island

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

2 rods/4 ends, 4 castings ====== 16 possibilities! :D

Oooooooh and each rod positioned two different ways. :eek:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I'm finally assembling the drill press now. Had to clean and rust and paint from parts. My Evapo-rust turned black and stopped working, used up some Amazon bucks getting more and then shipping was delayed. Finally got that in and finished de-rusting. Got tired of scraping and sanding paint and built a soundproof box for my air compressor so I could hook up the little sand blast cabinet I picked up from Craig's List, isn't soundproof but makes the sound tolerable. I put some rust converter and paint on the rusty spots on the bottom of the legs and just yesterday realized the legs will fit in that sandblast cabinet so I can clean them and repaint eventually.

Putting it all back together, the headstock is from my 510 (which now has a Greenie headstock upgraded to Power Pro and has Greenie legs), the drill press legs are from a 70s Model 500 I recently acquired but they'll have the casters from the 510, the base and carriage are from the Greenie, and I'll probably use the table from the new 500. These two machines are a real testament to the interchangeability of Shopsmith parts.

I've been rushing to get this out of the way because I'm having a knee replaced at the end of the month and I'll be very limited for a while. I'm hoping to have my tools set up and ready to use once I can at least hop around again. Last step will be getting the Sawsmith table saw set up and going. I have to fabricate some simple metal clips that hold the rails onto the saw base.
Ed from Rhode Island

edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

JPG wrote:I hope you marked the tie rods and end castings of the caster set.

If not Chinese puzzle time at reassembly. Either way, DO verify alignment at all 4 ends of the tie rods before tension pins or whatever you will be using are inserted.
I didn't make it clear before that these were legs and casters from my 510. That has the Greenie legs right now because they were the best set I had. All of the hole locations were identical, didn't have to match up positions.

BUT... a new mystery has arisen. I took the legs from the 500 I recently purchased and touched them up for use, then began to attach the casters from the 510. The cross bars and axles from the 510 are about 1/4" shorter than the ones from the 500 and don't fit well with the 500 legs. The axle won't stay in the brackets, it's just short enough to fall out. That means the 510 legs have a different profile from the 500 where the brackets attach, or it explains why the casters never worked right on the 510.

Anyhoo... took the caster hardware from the 510 and mounted all that. Used cotter pins in the cross ties and a nail in the foot pedal for now, probably will need a roll pin.
Ed from Rhode Island

claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

In keeping with the tech o my PowerPro here is my dedicated drill press.
Image00001.jpg
Image00001.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 4989 times
Jack
john_001
Gold Member

Post by john_001 »

I've seen that DP. It's pretty amazing. You set a depth stop and it automatically stops and reverses. The one I saw can start slow and then up the speed, for drilling things like glass. It had a bunch of other tricks, too.