10ER Table Alignment issue as drill press

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Forda
Bronze Member

10ER Table Alignment issue as drill press

Post by Forda »

I have just been getting my Shopsmith 10ER working and I set it up as a drill press. Checking the perpendicularity of the drill shaft to the table is not good. Hopefully the 1st picture will show the problem.
TableAngled_LI.jpg
TableAngled_LI.jpg (1.73 MiB) Viewed 2935 times
The set square shows the mis-alignment to the drill bit and the blue arrow shows that the table is tilting compared to the casting.

This picture just shows the bottom of the table.
BottomOfTable.jpg
BottomOfTable.jpg (183.12 KiB) Viewed 2935 times
Any ideas how I can correct this.

Thanks in advance.
Joe
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: 10ER Table Alignment issue as drill press

Post by JPG »

Rear trunion pivot upside down.
Attachments
10Er trunion  rear  pivot.jpg
10Er trunion rear pivot.jpg (94.01 KiB) Viewed 2933 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:Rear trunion pivot upside down.
Magna got another one. :D We have all done that once. It is just un-intuitive the correct way for some reason.
Last edited by jsburger on Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Joe,

Don't feel bad for putting the rear trunnion on upside down. We recently had that discussion in another thread and I had to admit I had done it again with my 20th Model 10 restoration just days before. Just putting it back together on auto pilot I guess. It really seems like it should go on the way you did it but no. :o
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Forda
Bronze Member

Post by Forda »

Ahhhh, thanks so much! I could not figure out what was wrong. I thought initially, perhaps the main casting should be flipped, but the way I had it seemed to match the manuals. I would have never got that. Now I know what a trunion is!

Joe