Greenie rebuild issues

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ssmall
Gold Member

Re: Greenie rebuild issues

Post by ssmall »

The headset I found says it is compatable with "B" models. I asked the seller if it would work with my Greenie and he replied he had no idea.

Being that I would completely replace the Headstock Case, I assume the difference with lack of screws/holes for the belt cover is a moot point?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

ssmall wrote:The headset I found says it is compatable with "B" models. I asked the seller if it would work with my Greenie and he replied he had no idea.

Being that I would completely replace the Headstock Case, I assume the difference with lack of screws/holes for the belt cover is a moot point?

YEP!!! Sorta! The greenies are either "A" or "B" headstocks. The "A" belt cover screws go into tapped holes in the casting. The "B" belt cover screws go into tinnerman nuts. IF the "B" headstock includes the tinnerman nuts all is well. If not, you will need to acquire them. Truth be known only TWO screws/tinnerman nuts are required. Later models only have two belt cover retaining screws.

P.S. I overlooked the motor pan above. 4 more clips!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I didn't have a problem with installing a PowerPro in a type A casting and using a belt cover from different greenie and a motor pan that came from a goldie. You may need tinnerman clips but everything should still fit together.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

An "A" or "B" Headstock will work fine as a replacement and look just about the same on the outside as your original Headstock depending on if you have an "A" or "B" Headstock already. Externally the only changes you would see is the original "A" Headstock had 8 screws to hold on the belt cover than changed to 6 screws. The "B" Headstock started with 6 screws for the belt cover than went to 2 in 1956 or 1957. I don't recall which year. It has been 2 screws to hold on the belt cover ever since. The "A" Headstock also had the high speed lock. None of these changes will make any difference in how your Headstock works and the internal parts are compatible. Having a "B" Headstock which has the drilled and tapped hole in the casting that uses a screw to retain the Idler Shaft Eccentric would be like what you already have as shown in your picture. There is also the screw hole in your eccentric which is a good thing as these two screws help hold the eccentric and Idler bearing in place and the clamping bolt keeps them there with little force needed. The "C" Headstock can be used but requires the red safety key switch.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

OH! One other 'difference'.

The speed control indicator ring is different. The "A" version has a step in the groove on the back side. The "B" version has a small ramp. The "A" has a push plate and the "B" version has a small easily lost spring.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ssmall
Gold Member

Post by ssmall »

I'm having difficulty with the installation of the Drive Belt.

It seems that due to the high tension of the Drive Sheave Spring, the Drive Sheaves will not expand.

Thus inhibiting the belt to allow adjustment of the speed control from Fast to Slow.
Drive Sheave Spring.JPG
Drive Sheave Spring.JPG (109.81 KiB) Viewed 1217 times
Any helpful tips will be greatly appreiciated!

Thank you in advance!
Shawn
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Shawn,

Has the motor's floating pulley sheave been oiled? My first suspect is always lack of lubrication on the motor shaft for that floating pulley sheave. There will be an oil hole under the spring in the sheave's sleeve over the motor shaft like the one in the Idler floating sheave in your earlier picture. From the picture the spring does look like it is unevenly compressing. I don't know if there is a problem there. Is there any crud built up under the spring cap? That could cause the spring to be unable to compress as much as it should.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I was working on one recently, same symptoms. On mine the floating sheave and fan sheave would bind to each other when they got close. I don't know exactly what caused it, I had an extra motor and swapped floating sheaves between them and they both worked correctly, so I didn't troubleshoot further. It is easy to tell if you take the spring off, they would stick every time. I'd try more thorough cleaning of the two sheaves if it happened to me again.

To oil it per Russ's suggestion you'll probably need to compress the spring some to get access to the oil hole. This should help you differentiate between 'spring won't compress' and 'floating sheave is binding to ???' It can be binding to the motor shaft, fan sheave, or key.

Personal opinion - I would disassemble it to clean the gunk out of there once it is sticking, then oil afterwards. This part of the machine needs to be oiled, but dirt and especially sawdust stick to the oil and over time you get some buildup in there. And it gets worse when the machine sits unused (or un-oiled) for an extended period because the oil dries out, leaving the residue. Disassembling it will also give you a chance to inspect everything.

- David
ssmall
Gold Member

Post by ssmall »

chapmanruss wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:29 pm Has the motor's floating pulley sheave been oiled? Is there any crud built up under the spring cap?
Yes the floating pulley sheave has been oiled.
There's no crud built up under the spring cap, as I throughly cleaned and lubericated all parts prior to assembly.

When the spring is removed from the sheave shaft, the sheaves move freely.
It seems that the spring is too long (creating too much tension on the floating sheave) to allow any movement.
This is confusing as the drive sheaves,spring and spring cap are original and were merely removed, cleaned and inspected prior to luberication and re-assembly. :confused:
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I don't understand what's going on with this one, just offering some info. My Greenie has speed control issues so it is stuck at one speed, fairly slow, and I'm not using it. I got it out just to compare. So, even though my spring is mostly compressed I can still move the floating sheave or the spring cap reasonably easily, just not very far.

Is the fan sheave positioned correctly? This pic is not the best angle for seeing that. There should be a relatively small gap between the back of the sheave and the sheet metal on the front of the motor. IIRC around 1/16", so that most of the fan part is on the motor side of that sheet metal plate. But it would have to be way off to cause this problem, and I think it would show in the picture.

Correct spring? Should be made from round wire IIRC. Newer ones are more of a flat wire spring.

More thinking needed on this...

- David