Shattered my 10ER Drive Pulley

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

nv10er
Silver Member

Shattered my 10ER Drive Pulley

Post by nv10er »

New member, first post, 22 year owner of my grandfather’s 1952 Shopsmith Model: 10ER.

I have performed a fair amount of maintenance to this machine over the years without incident, but that all changed today.

Needing to replace a noisy drive bearing, I attempted to remove the pulley from the drive shaft after removing the pulley set screw, but it would not budge on the shaft. So I removed the drive assembly from the headstock, and soaked the shaft/pulley interface with penetrating oil. I then attempted to drift the shaft from the pulley with a wooden dowel, but as the end of the shaft started to pass through the end of the pulley, it became more difficult until the aluminum failed and shattered like glass.

I thought I was covered, as I had obtained another 10ER years ago, and kept most of the parts as “backup”, for situations like this. However, I learned today that my backup pulley is for a keyed 5/8 shaft.

I know this is a long shot, but does anyone know of an online resource where folks trade 10er parts? Like I said, I have many 10er parts that others may be willing to trade me a 13/16” drive pulley for.

I know of MKC Tools, and plan to purchase one of his beautifully machined pulleys if I cannot locate an original via trade, or reasonably priced.

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

-Jason

***Updated 08/28/2020***
No luck in the short term finding a replacement pulley, so I contacted Skip Campbell with MKC Tools for one of his custom replacements. I just received the replacement today and was astonished by the quality. Not too many products today are produced with this level of attention to detail. Many thanks go out to Mr. Campbell for bailing me out, and making it so that I can continue to use this wonderful old machine.
Last edited by nv10er on Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Shattered my 10ER Drive Pulley

Post by jsburger »

Try hogwinslow at gmail dot com.

Skip at MKC Tools might be long shot. He moved 6 0r 8 months ago and it didn't go well. Unless he has one in stock it may be quite a while.

They do show up on eBay from time to time. I would check daily until you finally get one.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
BobCoates1953
Gold Member

Post by BobCoates1953 »

You may be able to get a machine shop to bore a 13/16 hole. Online you can find 3/4" three step pulley.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Welcome aboard. :)
You can also try posting "In Search Of" on the Facebook groups

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Shopsmith10ER/about
And the Shopsmith Sales group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/298235127282459/about
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
nv10er
Silver Member

Post by nv10er »

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations so far.