New owner, want to restore

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

shopsmithaddict
Bronze Member

Re: New owner, want to restore

Post by shopsmithaddict »

I just clean the tires with a toothbrush. I would not treat or lube in anyway. There are lots of sources of blades and you do not have to use shopsmith. Timberwolf are the best in my opinion. I have used Bosh from the big box stores.I think SS blades are better than Bosh but not as good as TW in my opinion.
Mark 520, 2 Mark 510, belt sander, band saws, jointer, stand alone planer, stand alone scroll saw, biscuit joiner, molder, incra router table with incra fence,
ghouliegirl
Silver Member

Post by ghouliegirl »

The bandsaw is working beautifully which makes me happy. Now, however, it looks like I need to work on the table before I can use the other accessories.

The table is quite corroded. What can I do, if anything, to get it back into nice, usable shape?
Attachments
PXL_20201012_194553807.jpg
PXL_20201012_194553807.jpg (429.18 KiB) Viewed 2234 times
Chad
Platinum Member

Post by Chad »

Oooh. That might be a difficult one to save. Luckily, they are very cheap on ebay, and plentiful. Or, Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace.
Chad Nevels
  • ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1963 Shopsmith Mark V "Goldie" 1-1/8 hp Serial # 379185
    1980 Shopsmith Mark V 500
    1994 Shopsmith Mark V 510
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1994 OKUMA LB15 II OSP7000
    2017 OKUMA LB3000 EXII SPACE TURN MY OSP P300LA
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

ghouliegirl wrote:The bandsaw is working beautifully which makes me happy. Now, however, it looks like I need to work on the table before I can use the other accessories.

The table is quite corroded. What can I do, if anything, to get it back into nice, usable shape?
You should be able to get it looking nice again.

This post shows how Mickyd did his. https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... 744#p35744

or, on the facebook group people have had good results cleaning them up with random orbital sanders and progressively finer grits of sandpaper.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Get some penetrating oil on the screws for the saw blade insert. Sometimes those take a while to loosen up. The old 500 tables were one solid piece of aluminum, at some point the edge on the right side of the table became a separate piece that you may or may not want to remove depending on condition. And if it's not flat just find a replacement. As mentioned above they are available on eBay.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

edma194 wrote:Get some penetrating oil on the screws for the saw blade insert. Sometimes those take a while to loosen up. The old 500 tables were one solid piece of aluminum, at some point the edge on the right side of the table became a separate piece that you may or may not want to remove depending on condition. And if it's not flat just find a replacement. As mentioned above they are available on eBay.
:confused: :confused: :confused: Do you mean the fence rail on the in feed side of the table?
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Chad
Platinum Member

Post by Chad »

If the table surface or miter slot is deeply "pitted" with corrosion; I wouldn't waste the time, and effort of trying to revive your table. You won't ever be satisficed with it. You want a table saw table to be extremely flat, smooth and slick; no matter if it is aluminum or cast iron.
Chad Nevels
  • ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1963 Shopsmith Mark V "Goldie" 1-1/8 hp Serial # 379185
    1980 Shopsmith Mark V 500
    1994 Shopsmith Mark V 510
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1994 OKUMA LB15 II OSP7000
    2017 OKUMA LB3000 EXII SPACE TURN MY OSP P300LA
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

jsburger wrote:
:confused: :confused: :confused: Do you mean the fence rail on the in feed side of the table?
Yes. I should have said the right side of the picture.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Chad wrote:If the table surface or miter slot is deeply "pitted" with corrosion; I wouldn't waste the time, and effort of trying to revive your table. You won't ever be satisficed with it. You want a table saw table to be extremely flat, smooth and slick; no matter if it is aluminum or cast iron.
Pits don't effect the table function. They are below the surface. As long as the top surface can be cleaned the pits are only cosmetic. It is the same way with way tubes. They can be pitted but as long as the original surface can be cleaned without removing much material they will work fine.

Think of the new MK V tables with the grooves in them. The grooves are basically BIG pits.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
ShoptimusPrime
Gold Member

Post by ShoptimusPrime »

Have you tried cleaning the table top yet? Looks like some of that might be old gunk or something. You should be able to save this table.
I've had good results restoring tables by taking a flat board or series of boards, wider than the table, and using 3m spray adhesive and gluing on finer grit sandpaper (start with 220). Different board for each grit. I don't use much force and just let the weight of the wood do the work for the most part, push and pulling. I do this with the table bolted to the table assembly incase the aluminum flexes alittle under the mounting holes for the tilt mechanism. Boards are only 3-4" wide. Just like flattening a hand plane sole, keep the frog bolted in place. Once it is clean or flat enough, I clean off the aluminum of any sanding dust and then leave it in the sun for a while to heat up. Then apply generous coats of paste wax and let the pores soak it up between buffing. I clean the miter slots with green scotch bright and wax.