New owner, want to restore

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: New owner, want to restore

Post by JPG »

Unless the set screw is 'out' do not try the wedge approach to remove. The shaft flat is tapered like the quill shaft.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ghouliegirl
Silver Member

Post by ghouliegirl »

So, I've used penetrating oil and evaporust and I cannot get these dang things to budge. I've tried gently hammering it (just enough to get it to vibrate) and nothing.

Could you explain this wedge method more clearly? I don't quite get it and I don't know what else to do.
ghouliegirl
Silver Member

Post by ghouliegirl »

Maybe I'm missing something?

The set screws are out. Is there something else that I need to do, or should they just come off? AUGH.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

ghouliegirl wrote:So, I've used penetrating oil and evaporust and I cannot get these dang things to budge. I've tried gently hammering it (just enough to get it to vibrate) and nothing.

Could you explain this wedge method more clearly? I don't quite get it and I don't know what else to do.
PLEASE DO NOT!!! The wedges press against the perforated sheet metal(vent plate) and will likely destroy it and you will still be left with the stubborn hub(s).

OK with the set screw(s) out apply penetrating fluid into the set screw holes and let them soak.

After they are so prepared, apply torque to get them to free themselves from the shaft. Anything that will apply great torque without damaging either the hub or the shaft should do it. Channellocks come to mind. Also vice grip if necessary. Last resort a big pipe wrench!!! Alternating direction may help.

Realize the hubs are replacable, the shafts not as easily($) so.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

At some point I would take vice grip pliers and grip the hub with pliers in-line with the shaft, then try to wiggle the hub up and down and then left and right, very slightly to get it moving.

Have you tried filling the setscrew hole with penetrating oil? Does it seem to soak into the joint? It can take some time. To get a table trunnion off recently I had to soak it for over a week. After that I could only wiggle it out a millimeter at a time over a couple of days until it finally came off.

As JPG mentioned, the hubs don't cost much. I'd consider cutting them apart before I'd do anything that would damage anything else.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
benmcn
Gold Member

Post by benmcn »

It might help if you could take the headstock off and flip it end for end with quill facing the direction that the hubs are now. This would allow you to lift the machine into the drill press position, except now the SPT hubs would located such that you could use the table to hold a pan or other container full of evaporust. Move the table up until the hubs are submerged in the evaporust and allow them to soak for a day or so. Additionally you could soak the Hubs in penetrating oil

Depending on the hub type (some of mine are open on both sides) you might be able to use a bearing puller.
Last edited by benmcn on Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

benmcn wrote:It might help if you could take the headstock off and flip it end for end with quill facing the direction that the hubs are now. This would allow you to lift the machine into the drill press position, except now the SPT hubs would located such that you could use the table to hold a pan or other container full of evaporust. Move the table up until the hubs are submerged in the evaporust and allow them to soak for a day or so. Additional you could soak the Hubs in penetrating oil

Depending on the hub type (some of mine are open on both sides) you might be able to use a bearing puller.
This is a great idea.

Removing and reinstalling a headstock is usually a two person job. I've done it myself before, but I was a lot younger and my body didn't need so much restoration work.

Before trying to put it back on make sure the wedge locks are lined up so the way tubes will pass through.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
benmcn
Gold Member

Post by benmcn »

I really like the technique that Doug Reid demonstrates for taking off the headstock. You can see it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sMVDpovFMw&t=16s
Last edited by benmcn on Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShoptimusPrime
Gold Member

Post by ShoptimusPrime »

I was thinking of using wood wedges on the top hub and using a socket on the bottom if a bearing puller isn't available. A bearing puller would be better for both. What about using compressed air to force the penetrating oil around the shafts? I'll take a look at the video.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Doug's last name is Reid.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝