New owner, want to restore

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

benmcn
Gold Member

Re: New owner, want to restore

Post by benmcn »

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I fixed it
Last edited by benmcn on Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benmcn
Gold Member

Post by benmcn »

:eek:
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

benmcn wrote:Thanks for bring that to my attention. I fixed it
You must have been thinking about that guy named Shop. His last name is Smith ;)
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Most of this has been said before but use penetrating oil allowing it to soak in several days if needed. The upper hub on the Drive Sleeve could be removed with a bearing puller but the lower one on the Idler shaft cannot. Caution will be needed for any method used to remove it. Keep in mind the metal closest to it is the vent plate and has no strength to pry against. Also pulling hard on the hub to remove it is pulling the idler assembly against it's mounting and could cause breakage. It may take a while to get it to come loose. Try putting the sanding disk on the quill spindle for a grip to hold the drive shaft for trying to rotate the hubs to get them free. Again some type of pliers to grip them for turning on the shafts. The hubs are cheaper than replacing other parts if damaged. If it comes down to cutting off the hub on the idler shaft use caution so as not to cut into the idler shaft itself. This would be my last resort for removing it.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Lots of ideas presented here.

Here’s one method that may just be your final one.

You can get the setscrews out correct?

Manually rotate the drive hubs until the hole is at 12:00

Mix up a teaspoon of automatic transmission fluid and a teaspoon of Acetone in a glass bottle with a glass eye dropper (Acetone will dissolve plastics)

Acetone changes the viscosity allowing it to flow in more readily. It then evaporates leaving the ATF to attack the rust.

Shake it up to mix it well then take the eye dropper and fill set screw hole to the brim. Observe it to see if it’s going in.

Once you cannot get anymore to flow in, refill the hole and insert the set screw to hydraulically force it in. Make sure screw bottoms out.

Now turn on the machine and let it run if possible. This alone will heat the machine up and warm the shafts. The natural vibration will help distribute the ATF in the Hub.

Repeat this a few times.

Additionally you can wipe the exterior of the hubs, install a coupler, and drive a SPT (with the speed set appropriately for the tool selection)

That will add additional vibration to the hub as it drives the SPT.

You don’t have use the SPT, just let it run.

I have had a good bit of success doing this.

Obviously you can use the SPT to perform work, and in time you will find the hubs will come off if you’re patient.

Everett
ShoptimusPrime
Gold Member

Post by ShoptimusPrime »

I like the suggestion of using the set screw to force the oil into the coupling.

I just had a similar issue with a frozen leveling screw on a goldie I'm restoring. Been using pb blaster and sewing machine oil on it for the last few days and it wouldn't budge. I tried an old trick using a can of compressed air for cleaning key boards. Turned it upside down and used the liquid gas to freeze the iron bolt a little. Short burst, wait a few seconds then repeated once more. Worked like a charm.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

ShoptimusPrime wrote:I like the suggestion of using the set screw to force the oil into the coupling.

I just had a similar issue with a frozen leveling screw on a goldie I'm restoring. Been using pb blaster and sewing machine oil on it for the last few days and it wouldn't budge. I tried an old trick using a can of compressed air for cleaning key boards. Turned it upside down and used the liquid gas to freeze the iron bolt a little. Short burst, wait a few seconds then repeated once more. Worked like a charm.
I think you’ve just added a new tool to our arsenal!

I’ve occasionally used freeze spray to diagnose intermittent electronic components, but it never occurred to me to try it on balky fasteners. But it makes stuff real cold, real fast, and is very localized when you plug the little straw into the nozzle. So I’m thinking it would outperform even a torch for creating differential material expansion. Perfect for shrinking a screw, and not whatever it’s stuck in.

The stuff we used at work looked something like the product below.
7E2409C5-4144-4C42-8CBE-0B1C4DED3D4D.jpeg
7E2409C5-4144-4C42-8CBE-0B1C4DED3D4D.jpeg (40.42 KiB) Viewed 2472 times
For a double thermal whammy, I suppose that you could heat the entire assembly, and then hit the screw with freeze spray.
ShoptimusPrime
Gold Member

Post by ShoptimusPrime »

It's been close to 100 where I am and this did the trick for me. Thought about using a hair dryer instead of the heat gun, but the ambient temperature seemed to enough.
ghouliegirl
Silver Member

Post by ghouliegirl »

Its been a little while since I checked in here, but I'm glad I did.

Still can't get the dang things off, so I plan on setting the thing up for use and working on the accessory pieces in the meantime. I'll post as I get to it.

Thanks, everyone!
ghouliegirl
Silver Member

Post by ghouliegirl »

Good news is that I stuck the bandsaw on and hooked it up. Everything works great! I've got new blades ordered from Shopsmith.

The tires are still pretty supple - not hard or cracking, but they are dirty. What is the best way to clean them up? Do they need to be lubricated or something?

BTW, the user manual says to use other brands of blades is dangerous. Is that true, or can I buy regular blades from the big box stores?