New owner, want to restore

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ghouliegirl
Silver Member

Re: New owner, want to restore

Post by ghouliegirl »

I was able to get the buildup on the surface removed and some of the black stuff underneath using a soft wire brush then some 220 sandpaper. There is some pitting, but it is not too bad.

Here's what I've got left...black "stuff" that appears to be in the machining grooves. Nothing I've done is getting that off. I'd love to have a nice shiny "new" looking table but I'm not sure what to try next.

As you can see in the pic, I've got penetrating oil on the screws. Fingers crossed.

Fortunatley, the underside of the table looks terrific.

On a side note, I finally got a blade on the bandsaw and I am *so* impressed. That thing works like a charm - much better than I expected!
Attachments
after saw.jpg
after saw.jpg (403.95 KiB) Viewed 1894 times
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

Big improvement! I sanded mine, and I think I started with 100 or 120 grit wrapped around a fairly long block of wood. The fact that my table wasn't perfectly flat became immediately obvious. In my case, I was removing varnish that I had applied, trying to keep some red sharpie guide lines from getting rubbed off. The varnish had gotten dull from wood sliding across it, and then it turned amber, as it tends to do. Go easy in the miter gauge slots ... I suggest brass wool or ScotchBrite only so as to not widen the slots.
Attachments
P5121541a.jpg
P5121541a.jpg (286.7 KiB) Viewed 1883 times
P5121546a.jpg
P5121546a.jpg (267.92 KiB) Viewed 1883 times
P5121548a.jpg
P5121548a.jpg (147.89 KiB) Viewed 1883 times
ghouliegirl
Silver Member

Post by ghouliegirl »

Wow!!! That gives me some hope!

Ok - I'll be more agressive with the sandpaper. I've just been worried about taking off too much and ruining the flat surface.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Do use caution as you have been. Removing to much surface metal will present another problem. The Table Inserts are a fixed so there is no adjustment. Removing to much surface could leave Inserts sitting above the Table surface. Removing a lot of metal to make it look "new" again could weaken the Table structure.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
ghouliegirl
Silver Member

Post by ghouliegirl »

Gotcha and good point. I honestly am not too finicky. Most important is that it works as well as it should. Looking good is just a little icing on an already yummy cake.
ghouliegirl
Silver Member

Post by ghouliegirl »

Well, this is not what I wanted to see when i pulled it out of the box. Can this plate be saved?
Attachments
plate.jpg
plate.jpg (56.81 KiB) Viewed 1436 times
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Yes, it looks like the back-up plate can be saved. As long as it is "structurally" sound without deep below surface rust areas and ends up mostly smooth. It looks more like surface rust than deep pitting rust. Use rust remover and clean it up. After it is cleaned up apply paste wax for protection just like other bare metal parts. If you decide to go for a new one it is part number 5029639 and is $29.68 plus shipping.

There was a label that went on the back side of the plate in the past. I don't know if it is still put on newer Belt Sanders. If yours had it and you want to replace it, the attached PDF is a reproduction of that label. Print it on full sheet (8-1/2" x 11") label paper in landscape position.
Belt Sander plate label.pdf
(77.33 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
By the way do not use chemicals to clean the Idler Drum (upper drum). Use a wire brush or light sanding.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
ghouliegirl
Silver Member

Post by ghouliegirl »

I'm missing some parts for the table lock assembly and apparently one of those parts is not available from Shopsmith. Besides Ebay and Marketplace, do you know of anywhere else that sells Shopsmith parts? Or is there a workaround for part 166 (pinion lock)?
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

You may need to buy a used carriage to replace that part. There's one on eBay for $25 right now, I just bought one for $10 from a guy on CraigsList along with a couple of floating tables. I occasionally see a set of random parts for sale on Craigslist also. Trouble is the shipping cost for a whole carriage when you just need than one piece.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shopsmith-mdl- ... SwtfNfjJ7s

ETA: I spoke to soon (or wrote to soon I guess). Check with MKC tools, see link below. He sells the pinions.

http://www.mkctools.com/mark%20v%20parts.htm
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER